moving files

Brian4all

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have some files on my desktop that are loaded with pictures I have taken in recent months and I need to move them to my external hard drive. I have tried to do this in several ways, but it always copies it instead of transfering it. I wanted to drag and drop from my desktop to external without copying. There are two things with copying. One I have to go back and delete them from original file. Secondly, I'm wondering if I would lose quality if I keep copying from file to file. Any comments would be appreciated. thanks

What platform are you running?

Have you tried right button dragging the files? It may then ask you if you want to copy or move them.

Personally, I'd stick to copying them, then you can check to make sure that they have fully copied over before you delete them.

sounds like your running vista - it does this with me as well when moving things from the desktop. You could try rightclicking on the image and using the Cut command and then pasting into the external drive

BUT

I would keep doing it as you are - like Big Mike says that way you can always copy again if something goes wrong (like the computer crashing ;))

Most reactions

Back