moving from Full Frame to MicroFourThirds

It's here.
IMG_20180329_142604_328.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

better is the enemy of the good
Client just wants 300 shots of pens for their ecommerce site.
or 200 pieces of makeup for ecommerce
time is of the essence.
wants the whole lot finished in an afternoon.

Your set up is good, mine is faster.
Client wants more images in less time.

OK, it's all about volume, time and low price
... good luck
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

As far as it goes...products quite simply can be made to look better, or more-interesting, by using simple, classical view camera movements of the front or rear, or both, standards. Correcting for keystoning in-camera with a view camera is a classic, essential way to photograph liquor or wine bottles, buildings, whatever. Using front-standard swing, or rise, or back standard swing or rise or fall--ALL of these are simple, easy-to-do things with a view camera. A camera that can be bent and tilted and contorted is a magnificent imaging tool in-studio and for tabletop work. There is no substitute for camera movements,and no, Photoshop can NOT create the same effects as can real camera movements.

Frank's following in the footsteps of 100-plus-years of expert photographers...I guess he wants to do state of the art photography work? Using a view camera with a Nikon D850 as a high-resolution digital back and a absolutely astonishing digital imaging lens. What is he thinking!

If you want to shoot pens, or pen sets, and you've never used a view camera to do so (I did shoot pen sets, and spinner and lure components, back in the 1980's), you have absolutely no idea what you're missing by NOT using a camera that has movements. Seriously. And it's not "slow" to shoot with a view camera with a rollfilm or digital back on it...it's quite fast..and the image itself, can be perfected, or exaggerated, in-camera, by basic camera movements. Arguing that it's slow, or difficult, is erroneous. Shooting E-6 sheets and making two trips to the lab is "slow".

Of course, if it looks like everything is falling over, or wonky, but speed is of the essence, then sure, a camera without movements "shoots images". But are they the best images possible to make, for advertising? I think not.

If you want to angle a no-movements camera downward toward your shooting table, and shoot a bunch of angular-distortion-filled shots, then any fixed camera will do. But if you want the images to be first-rate, you'd be wise to look into how a view camera can actually make better-appearing products, or how you can use one, easily, to introduce some amazing distortion (in a good way!) by moving the rear standard to exaggerate shapes. The view camera was the world's original, and still remains, the best "tilt-and-shift" lens.

McDonald's cranks out a hamburger in about 90 seconds. So it's clearly the best hamburger.

Last edited:
Oh I do not dispute the fact that a view camera will do the job better.
What is the point of fussing over an image that will be simply used to sell a product on Amazon or another ecommerce site?
I have had $40 burgers at Daniel Boulud.
_A130627.jpg

(image taken with an EM5 II with 12-40 f/2.8)

was it delicious? Hell yes...can I eat it all the time? No. Here's details if you want - World-famous chef Daniel Boulud reveals his secrets to making the perfect burger

There is a time and place for a simpler burger. Is Micro43rd crap? No. It isn't as good as a D850 with a tilt shift thingie.
Will it do an adequate job?
Yes. That's all that really matters.

The first photo I took with the new OMD EM10 III was my dinner.
P3290001.jpg

better is the enemy of the good
Client just wants 300 shots of pens for their ecommerce site.
or 200 pieces of makeup for ecommerce
time is of the essence.
wants the whole lot finished in an afternoon.

Your set up is good, mine is faster.
Client wants more images in less time.

OK, it's all about volume, time and low price
... good luck
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
I think of it as something like the ubiquitous VW Golf.
It is every where. It's probably the most made car on the planet. (I think the Corolla is cheating by calling a bunch of unrelated cars Corolla, and VW is under stating when the Jetta is obviously just a Golf Sedan).
Is the Golf rubbish? Hell no...it's amazing. Is the Golf a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow? No...it's a Golf.
You don't always have to go all out balls to the wall nuts when all the client wants is a simple image to sell bottles of makeup or pens.

Wants an image to sell products...and the image could be made super-appealing. But they're willing to take good enough. See the irony?

Micro 4:3 Adapters:

I thought I would add that view camera style shifts and tilts can be done to a limited degree on Micro 4:3 bodies using adapters which have been available for a while now. I did some quick research on B&H, but I have seen them on eBay and I would expect them to be available at other stores (like Adorama etc.)

Here are some examples. There are more. Most of them are "Special Order" items:

Shift:

"FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Shift Adapter for Nikon F-Mount Lens to Select Micro Four Thirds-Mount Cameras B&H # FOPSLMANGLM •MFR # NK(G)-MFT-P-SHIFT"

"FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Shift Adapter NK(G)-MFT-P-SHIFT B&H"

USD $85.95

[2018-08-17: I bought the above FotodioX shift adapter and it has too many deficiencies. There appear to be other similar products available so I would recommend buying one of the alternatives.]

Tilt:

"Dot Line Nikon F Lens to Micro Four Thirds Camera Tilting Lens Mount Adapter B&H # DODL0891 •MFR # DL-0891"

"Dot Line Nikon F Lens to Micro Four Thirds Camera DL-0891 B&H"

USD $129.95

"-Nikon F Lens to MFT Cameras
-Tilt Function up to 8 Degrees
-Depth of Field and Perspective Control
-Maintains Infinity Focus"

[Available for Canon EF or Nikon F Lenses to M4/3 or Sony E-mnt bodies]

Other:

"Horseman Micro Four Thirds Camera Mount for TS-Pro B&H # HOMFTM •MFR # 27031"

"Horseman Micro Four Thirds Camera Mount for TS-Pro 27031 B&H"

"-For Micro Four Thirds Mount Cameras
-Enables View Camera Movements on TS-Pro"

USD $139.00
[2018-04-10 I think I should add that the Horseman adapter is useless unless you buy the rest of the Horseman Tilt-Shift kit, which costs about $4,600 US, and will still require a lens to be useful.]

NOTE: I have also seen adapters that claim "shift + tilt" but I would not trust them. I have read complaints of complex adapters falling apart, and it seems to me that a "shift + tilt" adapter would be difficult to make and more likely to be the ones that "disassemble themselves."

A tilt adapter with a wide angle full-frame prime (possibly used) could be a good addition to a Micro 4:3 system for this type of work. Something like a 28mm 3.5 lens could work out well. A big aperture is not needed.

[2018-04-07 typos]

Last edited:
the EM10 III seems to be outperforming the EM5 II in high ISO
Here are a few new shots.
I am very pleased with the quality (especially given the size of the camera).
P4020001.jpg

Breakfast Eggsperiment *LOL*
(ISO 1600)

P4020045.jpg

the watch I was wearing (ISO 2500)

P4020027.jpg
Testing out a Macro lens on my watch's movement (ISO 640)

In message #22 above I posted some quick research about shift and tilt adapters. I have always had a small desire to try these out. I diverted a small amount of money and bought a used Nikon 28mm F3.5 lens. At that point, things get a bit silly. Realistically, I knew that I really wanted the tilt adapter. But the shift adapter was about $50 US less. To get anything out of the shift, I think I would need something like a 20mm Full-Frame prime lens. The 28mm results in a field of view equal to a 56mm lens on a 35mm camera. The perspective change is generally within range of doing it in post. But the 28mm still would get useful results with a tilt adapter. On the other hand, either way I was looking at this from an "new experience" point of view, so I decided to save the $50.

I will eventually post some results and observations in a new topic. When I do, I'll try to remember to post a link from "here".

The new topic is:

"Shifting and Tilting Micro 4:3"

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back