MOVING ON

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
L+D3VnO+T7iJOSqF3UKBSA_thumb_6cea_Fotor.jpg

Moving On ~ Lake Chaffee's Autumn Legacy O' Trad Finian Mac - call name "MAC".

T'was just this time last year that wee MAC a pup of about nine week old was being encouraged to start retrieving with a clean paint roller. Here the young MAC is seen proudly returning with a paint roller that had been tossed for him, one of his first early retrieves.

Now at 14 months of age, I will be heading off to Long Island this coming Friday to run MAC in his first HRC licensed hunt test event as hosted by the Long Island Retriever Field Trial Club. Much training during the last year of MAC has been diligently conducted in preparation toward making him competent as a K9 hunt test athlete and gun dog. Our participation as a handler / K9 team this weekend will see all of that prior training put to the test under actual hunt test conditions this weekend. I will update next week with our results.

Cheers,
TEAM MAC ☘️

How could you not live puppy pictures? @Irishwhistler when you're training on the retrieve do you use any scent on the roller?

How could you not live puppy pictures? @Irishwhistler when you're training on the retrieve do you use any scent on the roller?

Smoke,
No need to use scent on the roller. My own scent which the pup has previously imprinted to is on it. The pup is making the retrieve by visual marking, not by scent tracking to locate at this early stage of development. Once the pup's mechanics of retrieve are established at a simple level, I quickly transition over to live training pigeons to solidify scent tracking and enhance prey drive in the pup.

Mike ☘️

_MG_4674Resized_Fotor THE NATURAL-1.jpg

MAC a few weeks later after the paint roller intro, seen here carrying a live Chukar training bird. Proper hold / mouth habits formed, the Chuckar is carried softly by the retriever trainee.

Mike ☘️

What a great pup! And some great pics of that pup!

Most reactions

Back