Moving photography forward??

masquerad101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so Ive been taking photos for about 7 years or so but I have been relying on the semi auto mode that is (A) and I never bother with metering modes. I do change the ISO but I dont really know what Im doing I just play around with it, to be honest I dont even know what it actually does. I do also change the f stops and I know that to get a blurry backround and sharp subject I should set the f stop to the lowest number and If i want to blur out water I set the f stop to something like f22.

Basically what im saying is I want to take my photography further by having more control over what im actually doing in camera and not relying on photoshop to save my shots. The best I can do is compose my shots the rest is done in PS. Id like to gain a better understanding of ISO and what it does and when to use the different ISO settings? Also Id like to learn about the different metering modes and again when to use them?

So my main goal now is to be able to learn about every thing I have mentioned above and then know when to deploy the knowladge I learn and be able to put it all together on the shoot so that my photos are exactly as I want them to be. Should I go on a photography course maybe? Any input would be greatly appreaciated.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
The Digital Photography Book - volumes 1 -4 by Scot Kelby

both of those books/series will give you a good grounding start in the concept of exposure control and using your camera outside of auto mode and gaining a control over the tool rather than having it control you. Note that exposure hasn't changed since the film days (although these days you have the option of using an internal meter not just an external handheld one) and is fundamental to photography so nearly any good introductory book will cover the subject - check some out at the bookshop or library.

A photography course would help. You have to practice what you learn, and workshops are great for that. Books give you information, but they don't give you experience. Cameras are light recording devices. You have to understand light, how to meter it, how to expose it, how cameras see it, and how to control it to make an image. Anything else is just snap shooting. Become a student of light and you'll see your photography improve.

A photography course would help. You have to practice what you learn, and workshops are great for that. Books give you information, but they don't give you experience. Cameras are light recording devices. You have to understand light, how to meter it, how to expose it, how cameras see it, and how to control it to make an image. Anything else is just snap shooting. Become a student of light and you'll see your photography improve.

Does that make me your padewan? :lol:

all joking aside I think I will do that.

Most reactions

Back