moving up to dslr , need help deciding which.

trey1010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everone! Okay, me and my wife will be having our first child within the next two weeks and
She has given me the task of finding a "new" camera. I am interested in thw Nikon 3100 and then my uncle
Has a sony a380 with a 75-300mm,18-55, 18-70 with a external flash he will sell me for 250. I am torn because I
Can not find many reviews on the a380. Any help or recommendations would be great.

Congrats on the baby! As for the camera situation...it really is up to you. Do research on what you are looking for and what you want. Go and try out cameras at best buy or somewhere and get a feel for what is out there.

Thank you! I am excited! Okay well I am just having a hard time deciding if the a380 is a good deal. It I get that one and spend 250 rather
Than 400-600 that I originally planned I can't invest a little in a decent editing software. But I have noticed since it is not a nikon
Or canon there is not as much reviews online. Ill try to make it to best buy this evening and hold a few cameras.

The a380 with 3 lenses and a flash for $250 seems like a no-brainer. Get it and save the rest of the money you were planning to spend for diapers :)
The D3100 is slightly better in terms of low light performance but the difference is negligible.

Depends on what you want to spend... but I would go with the Nikon personally....

SONY A380 (read the cons) http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra380

Conclusion - Pros

• Good JPEG output at base ISO (but sometimes poor low contrast detail, improves visibly when shooting in RAW)
  • Good JPEG resolution
  • Reliable metering
  • Fastest AF in live view (but see disadvantages below)
  • Coherent ergonomics for live view operation
  • Probably the easiest DSLR to use for a compact camera user
  • Tilting screen useful for over-head or waist-level shooting (not in portrait orientation though)
  • Effective image stabilization system (SteadyShot inside)
  • Wireless flash capability
  • Help guides useful for new users of the camera and beginners
  • Decent 18-55m kit lens
  • Simple but decent RAW converter included in the package (Image Data Converter)
Conclusion - Cons

• Visible blurring of fine detail in JPEGs from ISO 200 upwards (unacceptable IMO)
  • High ISO performance not on the same level as direct competitors (very noisy at anything over BASE ISO IMO)
  • Smallest viewfinder of any APS-C DSLR
  • Protruding screen obstructs use of viewfinder, especially if you're wearing glasses
  • Limited external controls
  • No on-screen user interface for changing of shooting parameters
  • Sometimes convoluted operation (AF-point selection, index-view)
  • No magnification and only 90% frame coverage in live view make precise framing and selective focusing very difficult
  • Sometimes less responsive than the competition (record review)
  • Poor continuous shooting rate
  • Poor battery life
  • No video-out jack means images cannot be displayed on older TVs
  • Small, relatively low-power flash
  • Noise reduction is not adjustable
  • Unreliable white balance under artificial light
  • Custom white-balance not 100% reliable and not fine-tuna

D3100 Nikon D3100 Review: Digital Photography Review

Conclusion - Pros

• Very good image quality
  • Unintimidating interface, but with plenty of manual control
  • Easily accessible Live View and Movie controls
  • Useful drive mode lever (unique on an SLR at this price level)
  • Highly sophisticated AF system for the price
  • Easy manual selection of off-centre AF points
  • Unusually fast Live View AF for an SLR (but still relatively slow compared to mirrorless competitors)
  • Lots of 'hand-holding' features for beginners (Guide mode, help screens for most functions)
  • Much improved continuous shooting performance with Active D-Lighting turned on
  • Lots of in-camera raw conversion and post-processing options
Conclusion - Cons

• Slight tendency to overexpose in contrasty conditions
  • Buggy Live View / Movie Mode (movies aren't necessarily recorded at set aperture)
  • Crude live view magnification is of little help for critical manual focus
  • No live histogram in live view
  • AF still a little sluggish in live view mode, full-time AF not very effective in live view or movies
  • Only direct external ISO control is via slightly inconveniently-placed 'Fn' button
  • ISO is only displayed in viewfinder when it's being changed (and not at all in Auto ISO)
  • Auto ISO logic is not well-suited for everyday casual shooting (good for action though)
  • White balance often excessively orange under artificial light
  • No exposure bracketing
  • Will not focus all Nikon lenses (though most popular choices are available)

I really appreciate the feedback everyone. For now I went ahead and bought the sony a380 from my uncle and
He gave me the lenses I mentioned before and also a Tamron sp 10-24mm 1:35-4.5 for a total of 250!

Most reactions

Back