Moving water.. I just can't figure it out!

Here is a shot I took...I believe the shutter speed was 20 or 30 seconds. To be able to use a SS that long, in daylight, I had the lens stopped down to F29, I had a circular polarizer and two ND (ND4 I think) filters on.

5856-FR-web.jpg

Having that many filters on, caused some vignetting. I cropped most of it out but you can still see it on one corner.

I should have mentioned... I was shooting at 100 ISO, and as much as F29. Still no results.. I'm going to have to get me some filters.

I have done tons of shots like this without the use of any filters. I just (as I told you to do) used manual listened to my meter and decided what would work. The beauty of digital is being able to figure out what you did wrong instantly and be abe to know wht you did through your exif data.

kjndgo2-R1-013-5_1.jpg

kjndgo2-R1-004-0A.jpg

The second one looks alot better (more detail) as an original....

fixed it...

I think part of my problem is 'light metering"
I'm not familiar enough yet with how to take a reading off a certain area. I understand that my exposure meter should read Zero, but I wasn't able to get to that Zero even in manual.

...most likely because you had your shutter speed set to two seconds which would need an impossible aperature for correct exposure. If you're in the same situation again and you don't have ND filters, set your lens to the smallest aperature and then adjust the shutter speed until you get a match. You'll want to set your ISO as slow as possible as well. Note the above examples are shot more or less in shady areas.

Dave

I think part of my problem is 'light metering"
I'm not familiar enough yet with how to take a reading off a certain area. I understand that my exposure meter should read Zero, but I wasn't able to get to that Zero even in manual.

Well just because you want to use a certain exposure it does not mean you will be able to. Proper exposure is sometimes going to be a compromise between what you want and what the conditions will allow.

Here is a shot I took...I believe the shutter speed was 20 or 30 seconds. To be able to use a SS that long, in daylight, I had the lens stopped down to F29, I had a circular polarizer and two ND (ND4 I think) filters on.

The Exif says 4 seconds @ f/22, which seems about right for the amount of "slikness" to the water

Most reactions

New Topics

Back