Moving within PS

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone know how to move in Photoshop without using the mouse? I'm trying to automate a process where I import a picture, scale it to a percentage of the original and move it to a specific location (for example, 10% from left border).

I can't find any way to do it though.

I believe it is call PS Action. You do the task once and record all the actions. And then save it or apply the action on another photo.

In your action, you will be able to use the align command to put it on an edge and into a corner. If you should then be able to move it a precise amount by using the arrow keys. If you images are a consistent size, the same number of arrow key presses, should work each time.

I'm not entirely sure that the arrow keys will be recorded in a action though...so try it out.

You could also try using guides somehow...but I think there may still be user (mouse) input required.

Another option might be to import the image, align it to the side/corner, then scale the background image behind it, giving you the end result that you want.

@Dao - Yes, but I'm trying to get it to do something arbitrary.
@Mike - What I'm trying to do is to make an action to add a logo to the bottom right of a photo that scales with the size of the photo. For example, so I can add it straight from PS, or toss it in from Lightroom. Now I see the move command in the actions, I'll play with it. It seems to give absolutes, which stinks, but I'll play.

If you can put together the right search string...I'm sure you could Google a tutorial for it.

I've been trying that lol. I can align it to the bottom right, but when I cursor-move it only goes in fixed, so what may look great on a 3000 pix image, turns out in the middle of a 600 pix one. Thanks anyway, I guess I'll keep hunting!

And naturally after looking all last night, and this morning, I find the solution right after I post here... for anyone who wonders in the future, you have to set your ruler to percentages and then the action records the move as percentage, rather than fixed width.

Adobe Forums: Moving a Layer based on percentages via action scripting.
"With an action set you ruler to percent, select all on the layer you want to move and with the move tool move the image. The amount of the move will be recorded in percent.

With a script use activeDocument.activeLayer.translate( new UnitValue(.9,'%'),undefined) to move to the right or activeDocument.activeLayer.translate( new UnitValue(-.9,'%'),undefined)to move to the left "

Thanks KMH. I was looking for a way to add the logo from photoshop via a droplet. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back