MPEG1 VS. MPEG2

digitalrightnow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the difference between MPEG1 and MPEG2? I have just started to really work with my digital camera's recording capabilites, and i am pretty happy with some of the results. However I don't really know what format is best to put on DVD. I know where I live in Canada I have to use NTSC, I'll get this through MPEG2, correct? What should I use? Also I am using two different programs to edit my movies, one saves as WMV files, and I use the other to convert them to MPEG files, but what I tend to stick with is MPEG1 and save them to NTSC, is this acceptable or should I go with them MPEG2 NTSC format? I use MPEG1 and it appears that my movie plays ok, on my PC's DVD player. Could someone give me an idea as to how it would look on a regular DVD player?

MPEG2 tends to be better for interlaced video, which NTSC is, and at high bit-rates, especially if there is a lot of motion. Use it if you are cutting DVDs or SVCDs. If you are making VCDs, will be displaying only on a computer, or perhaps have a lot of stationary images, then use MPEG1. MPEG1 is also works on a lot of hardware. This is just second-hand knowledge, as I haven't done a lot of video work, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most reactions

Back