Mr. Merlin

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was on my lunch break when I saw some sort of raptor swoop by near my office window, so I quickly got my camera to investigate the trees near by.

From the distance I could see something there, but I thought it was just a crow. As I got closer I thought it might be an immature redtail hawk, but after asking around I found out it was an immature merlin, probably a male because of its size. So far this has been the year of firsts, I got some pics of my first sharp shinned hawk a few weeks back, now a merlin :)

He didn't seem to mind that I was approaching, he was high in the trees so I guess he felt safe. He gazed at me as I approached.
juvss4.jpg

I asked him if I could take some pic of him? He replied "huh? pictures of me? what for?
juvss2.jpg

That's when I said "well, I really enjoy taking photographs of birds, raptors in particular, you make a great subject!" After thinking about it the merlin replied "ssssuuuuuurrreee! I don't see why not!" With a thumbs up (or should I say talon up? :) ) I took a few shots.
juvss3.jpg

I'm a little shy
juvss5.jpg

Is this a better pose?
juvss6.jpg

I wish I had more time to wait there and attempt to get some pictures of him in flight but my 30 minutes left of my lunch break was up so I had to go back to work. I said my sincere thank you's to the kind Merlin and took one last shot.
juvss1.jpg

Either he mooned me or was about to take off :)

All images were heavy crops, probably about 80%.

he's a little guy... nice of him to just sit there for you... I had one do that once, he made my day.

great captures! :thumbup:

Nice images, shame they're crops, can't blow them up as big. I had the same problem when I recently photographed a kestrel near my home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back