Mt Rainier.......

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This was taken with a Cannon AE1 w/ a 300mm Zoom and fuji Reala 100, f22
I have done no edits, cropping, curves, contrast or any thing else. Go ahead and give any critigues or advice you may have to offer. The more imput the better!!

8-4-20058-19-39AM_0007copy.jpg

Beautiful colors. It looks a little dark on my monitor, but I'm willing to attribute some of that to the scan. ;) You might show off that DOF a little more if you sharpened your image somewhat.

Did you take several views? Such a beautiful area. :)

i hate progressive jpegs. but besides that it's a very nice shot, what you could do is try to get rid of some of the blue shift from the background i.e. make it darker (i know terri, we should calibrate our screens :lol: ) but besides that it's ok.

Thanks for all the great comments. I took about 200 photos that day. I have some that I'm going to make panaramas out of. I use Progressive scans so if people have a slow connection they know something is happening and don't leave. If people would rather not have progressive scans that fine I can change it. I'll do some edits and repost.

Here the Edit: Any better..:thumbup: :thumbdown: ( I'll put this one OTE if someone has ideas )

8-4-20058-19-39AM_0007copy2.jpg

The first one is fine. It's not dark at all and the colours are spot on.
I calibrate my monitor regularly, though.
Nice framing with the trees.

Thanks, I like the first also. Something dose not seem right with the second.

I think the best tool for a shot like this is the shadow/hilight adjustment to bring the trees out a touch. I also used curves (make a smooth 'S' shape) and USM.

8-4-20058-19-39AM_0007copy.jpg

At first, I did not mind the darkness in the trees, and the attempt to brighten them up a bit washed the photo out, as eydryan is saying.
But Marctwo, your solution convinces me that it IS nice to see all these details in the trees AND a contrasty Mt Rainier too. Very nice!

Hertz van Rental said:
I find the edit very harsh and unreal I'm afraid. The original is still better.
The edit is not intended to present you with a finished version of the image - that's for Wil to do.

My reason for offering this edit is to show Wil the type of thing that can easily be accomplished with the tools I mentioned. Whether you like it or not is beside the point (I'd rather you did though :lol: ).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back