14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I like 3 the best.

They seem pretty well exposed over all, but you may want to bump the shutter speed up a little bit if you can because there is noticeable blur on a few of the shots.

Also the shots are lacking in the action department. It would be interesting to see a few "contact shots."

Here's the deal with action shots: I take what they give me. See those helmets on their heads and those big gloves? This is indicative of "amateur" fights. These aren't professional boxers.

Feel free to critique my professional boxing photos.

Here's the deal with action shots: I take what they give me. See those helmets on their heads and those big gloves? This is indicative of "amateur" fights. These aren't professional boxers.

Feel free to critique my professional boxing photos.

:lol:

Yes, I'm more than capable of understanding it is an amateur fight, no need to talk down.

What I didn't realize is that the fighters couldn't come in contact with each other because they are wearing amateur protective gear. :sexywink:

It's just constructive criticism. Being a professional, I would have thought you could handle critical suggestions in a more professional manner.

No, I don't think you do understand the nature of amateur fights. Faces are covered with pads, the gloves are bigger, the fighters aren't the fastest or most skilled. Take these factors in with the limited lighting and a referee that likes to stall in the line of view coupled with the fact that these are 2 minute rounds and most fights are only 3 rounds.

You stand corrected.

I do understand that, as I have trained Muay Thai myself. I was just making a simple suggestion, as I even stated, "it would be interesting to see a few action shots." I didn't take anything away from your photos with that statement, I just suggested what would make them better.

I am not here to argue. I understand the difficulty in getting the shots, but that doesn't mean you should brush off the suggestion or get defensive like you did.

Your suggestion was to take better action shots than I did, even though I made it perfectly clear that I'm only taking as good of action shots as they give me. I didn't think it was all that difficult to comprehend.

And yes, when you attempt to undermine what I do such as nonsense "advice" as crank up the shutter because a couple of toes are blurry in one of the shots, that's contradictory to your "not looking for an argument" claim.

Tell you what- since you've opened the can of worms that you've "trained", you've no doubt got some connections to an event near yourself. I want you to go to an event in the near future with the available equipment you've got, and since you know the various strikes and clinches, I want you to produce action shots using ambient light, and I want you to post your results here.

Take the challenge.

Isn't it a bit funny for you to go and talk crap to someone who is just trying to help out and not be rude one bit?

If someone wanted to they could mention the fact that you make 0 contribution to this website. Your only posts are making threads and adding your photos and if you here something you like saying thank you. And of course advertising your website. By the way if they move so "slow" then you should be able to capture that action right?

Before you go and try to be rude to someone take a second and try to understand where they are coming from. He's trying to help you and allow you to take better pictures because honestly quite a few of the ones you post have way too much noise reduction and don't look realistic. I hope you don't take that too personal and lash out at me i'm just helping out.

Have a fine day bud!

Your suggestion was to take better action shots than I did, even though I made it perfectly clear that I'm only taking as good of action shots as they give me. I didn't think it was all that difficult to comprehend.

And yes, when you attempt to undermine what I do such as nonsense "advice" as crank up the shutter because a couple of toes are blurry in one of the shots, that's contradictory to your "not looking for an argument" claim.

Tell you what- since you've opened the can of worms that you've "trained", you've no doubt got some connections to an event near yourself. I want you to go to an event in the near future with the available equipment you've got, and since you know the various strikes and clinches, I want you to produce action shots using ambient light, and I want you to post your results here.

Take the challenge.

Actually, I never demeaned your photos by saying "take better action shots," I simply suggested more contact shots would make the set a little more entertaining.

I don't know why you keep going back to the amateur argument, I'm pretty sure they still fight in amateur muy thai. :lol:

Anyway, good luck with your shots. You're going to need it with that attitude if an editor ever wants to make a suggestion to you.

:thumbup:

If someone wanted to they could mention the fact that you make 0 contribution to this website.

Boy, they sure could. But then I'd have to point out that I'd look at the big picture and realize that I've helped photographers by the dozen on a myriad of industry-related topics not only from coast to coast, but around the world. And unlike yourselves, it wouldn't occur to me to look at a photographic niche that I know nothing about and nit-pick about... anything.

I don't need anyone to kiss my ass and tell me my work's great, especially when it ain't. I'm my own harshest critic. Like I said, I know these particular shots weren't my best work, and I also explained how I'm limited as a photographer to what I'm given. So when you make your little smart-ass comments like

"By the way if they move so "slow" then you should be able to capture that action right?"

I suggest you take another look at my collection and issue an apology.

Thanks again for looking at my work.

I don't know why you keep going back to the amateur argument, I'm pretty sure they still fight in amateur muy thai.

You make sure you tell the photographer who's to cover your fight- if it ever happens- how to shoot it, and post those pics instead then. We'll laugh together.

You're going to need it with that attitude if an editor ever wants to make a suggestion to you.

You mean the editors of magazines like TapouT, MMA Worldwide, Realfighter Magazine, or the boxing, kickboxing, MMA and wrestling promoters I've worked for? Let's stick to what you know instead. Because it's pretty easy to critique someone's work, but it's quite another to do it yourself and realize that you weren't qualified to make that call after all.

I still didn't hear if you're going to accept my challenge. Show me how it's done.

Just want to say - easy

Lashing out at other people has not gotten anyone very far - just an honest observation.

And if you do not want to hear what could be improved one way or another, why post pictures up here? You have been here a fair while, and should notice, that critique will be given once pictures are posted...

And without trying to critique anything, I would have to agree with iAstonish on this, that there are very few shots of gloves connecting with faces - amateur or not.
Now, I am not a sports photographer, but being a sports enthusiast I enjoy visiting fights (here in Asia) a lot. Fists (gloved or not) tend to connect with peoples heads / torsos - amateur or professional, and that is what I understand by "contact shots"

Anyways - just my advice, take it or leave it.

Do you have your period or something?

Just want to say - easy

Lashing out at other people has not gotten anyone very far - just an honest observation.

And if you do not want to hear what could be improved one way or another, why post pictures up here? You have been here a fair while, and should notice, that critique will be given once pictures are posted...

And without trying to critique anything, I would have to agree with iAstonish on this, that there are very few shots of gloves connecting with faces - amateur or not.
Now, I am not a sports photographer, but being a sports enthusiast I enjoy visiting fights (here in Asia) a lot. Fists (gloved or not) tend to connect with peoples heads / torsos - amateur or professional, and that is what I understand by "contact shots"

Exactly

Not in my case- That's how I got into this industry in the first place.

And here's my advice for those of you who care to expound on what a fight event consists of: get off your asses and shoot one.

It's a very simple premise. I'm not "lashing out", I'm not angry. I'm telling you like it is- it's difficult enough to take those iconic shots when the conditions are perfect, never mind when faces are obscured, lighting is limited, rounds are shorter, when the referee ignores who he's standing in front of. Under perfect conditions even a seasoned "sports photographer" can come away with nothing when they shoot fights- it happens. But to address the issue of connectivity- yes, I have many shots "connecting" from this event. And most of them are when they were in a dark spot in the ring, in a spot that made no ripples in the flesh thanks to padding, a padded fist to a padded head that looks more like a pillow fight than compelling action.

Ten more of you can pile into this thread, and I'll tell you the same thing: go shoot an event, or you'll have NO IDEA what it's like.

Just want to say - easy

:thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back