Mucho help needed......

I did not use feathering. I have made a video of exactly what I did. The video is in real time and moves along quite quickly so you may have to watch it a few times. Sorry but I wanted to keep it short to keep the file size down ( 7 MB). Hopefully you have broadband, here it is...

http://www.dykstra.us/images/sky.wmv

You went to extremes and I thank you many times over....however, I followed your steps exactly and the halos still exist.

??????? I can not think of what I'm doing to create this problem. If you revisit my initial posting in this thread I initially did exactly what you video-ed and tried it again without success. I'm at a loss!

Thanks again

I did not use feathering. I have made a video of exactly what I did. The video is in real time and moves along quite quickly so you may have to watch it a few times. Sorry but I wanted to keep it short to keep the file size down ( 7 MB). Hopefully you have broadband, here it is...

http://www.dykstra.us/images/sky.wmv

wow, creating a video! that I call effort! :) :)

thanks for putting so much time into it :)

on a side note, what most people forget about and which ruins most montages with some alien sky with clouds applied to an image: clouds have both a perspective and are shot with a certain angle of view/focal length. They are three dimensional objects.

if you do not want your clouds to look fake, use the exact same focal length in the could and in the foreground shot, and use the exact same perspective (is your camera pointing upwards? downwards? parallel to the ground?)

on a side note, what most people forget about and which ruins most montages with some alien sky with clouds applied to an image: clouds have both a perspective and are shot with a certain angle of view/focal length. They are three dimensional objects.

if you do not want your clouds to look fake, use the exact same focal length in the could and in the foreground shot, and use the exact same perspective (is your camera pointing upwards? downwards? parallel to the ground?)

I understand your point, but photos are two dimensional, no? And dosen't that fact alone comsenates for the prospective????

wow, creating a video! that I call effort! :) :)

thanks for putting so much time into it :)

We have to do what we can to help our fellow photogs, ;). It is probably easier for me to make a video than it is to explain it in writing, but I guess you really need both, :). I agree with your side note and that is surely the best way to get the realism. Most of the time when I want to replace a sky I will just go out and shoot it with the same lens and settings when a better sky becomes available.

THAT'S IT....!!! I defaulted the feather amount and HELLO no halo! Thanks for the tip.

Glad you found the problem, I was just going to get into it again to see if I could find the reason. Glad I checked here first, :).

Just to show you I can do it!!!!:lol:

7985-AbdulGenie3TPF.jpg

I understand your point, but photos are two dimensional, no? And dosen't that fact alone comsenates for the prospective????

but a cloud shot from different directions looks different. with most types of clouds you can tell if it was shot from the side (as in a mountain panorama) or from beneath (as when shooting a tall building and pointing the camera upwards) .. also you can tell if it was shot with a wide angle or a tele lens.

and then there is size, if the cloud appears to big or too small, it also looks fake quite often.

it even gets worse when you have a layer of clouds and all the clouds are flat at the bottom, then you can see even a dramatic effect . With other cloud formations it is more subtle.

Most reactions

Back