Multiple Filters?

naaaach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, is it a good idea to put multiple filters on one lens? I have a Nikon D90 with a 18-200mm. I have a polarizer filter, a UV filter, and an NC filter.

I primarily use my polarizer, the NC I use when there is no other filter, and I rarely use my UV.

Would it be practical to put on my polarizer first, then top it off with the NC? I use the NC as a 'shield' more than anything.

Hi all, is it a good idea to put multiple filters on one lens? I have a Nikon D90 with a 18-200mm. I have a polarizer filter, a UV filter, and an NC filter.

I primarily use my polarizer, the NC I use when there is no other filter, and I rarely use my UV.

Would it be practical to put on my polarizer first, then top it off with the NC? I use the NC as a 'shield' more than anything.

Most people don't even use any filters on their lenses. If your looking to protect the lens, I'd recommend putting a hood on. Kill 2 birds with one stone. I only use a filter if the conditions say I need to. (Circular polarizer)

UV filters do no more than NC filters do in digital cameras - which is nothing. Protection from the elements such as salt spray may be a good idea, but in most cases a filter like this is just cheap glass in front of expensive glass.

ND, Graduated ND, and CPL filters are useful when needed, but stacking a UV and NC on top of one of these is just not really needed and may likely just serve to degrade image quality.

Many opinions out there regarding lens protection, but I think using a filter only when the filter enhances the image is the best policy.

I would never ever do that.

When you try to capture light, ideally, you don't want the quality of light to suffer when passing any elements of glass whether it's the lens elements or additional filters. You will always lose quality so why voluntarily degrade the quality of the light? That doesn't make sense.

Always use high quality filters. Even one cheap polarizer or ND filter can ruin your images.

Like mentioned above, only use a filter if you don't have a choice - otherwise shoot with the lens hood on. Done.

I would never ever do that.

When you try to capture light, ideally, you don't want the quality of light to suffer when passing any elements of glass whether it's the lens elements or additional filters. You will always lose quality so why voluntarily degrade the quality of the light? That doesn't make sense.

Always use high quality filters. Even one cheap polarizer or ND filter can ruin your images.

Like mentioned above, only use a filter if you don't have a choice - otherwise shoot with the lens hood on. Done.

Ah, I see. Well, like I said before, I rarely use my UV filter...it was an 'extra' that came with my lens purchase from a local dealer. But usually, I shoot with just the NC because I go through different conditions...rain, snowfall, and beach photos (cleaning up saltwater drops on the lens glass is so painful) so the NC just protect my actual lens from damage.

I use my polarizer when I take landscape shots. So what you're saying is that I don't really need to stack?

...So what you're saying is that I don't really need to stack?

There is definitely no need to "stack". You don't get any benefits whatsoever and it actually destroys your images in terms of quality.

I would do some research on the filters you have and find out if they are quality filters. If they are cheap filters I would sell them on ebay and buy a really good neutral density filter for everyday use and one good circular polarizer. That's it.

My NC and UV filters are from Nikon, I paid around $90-100 for the NC.

My polarizer is a Hoya HD, which I paid $200 for. As an amateur photographer, I took suggestions from friends who are professionals and went with that. I have no idea what to expect for this price. I suspect they're good, comparing with filters at the $30-$100 range.

My polarizer is a Hoya HD, which I paid $200 for. As an amateur photographer, I took suggestions from friends who are professionals and went with that. I have no idea what to expect for this price. I suspect they're good, comparing with filters at the $30-$100 range.

You should be ok with those. It still depends on what kind of lense you are using but you're way better off with these filters than the ones for $30. :thumbup:

You should be ok with those. It still depends on what kind of lense you are using but you're way better off with these filters than the ones for $30. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back