Multiple OCF light source picture thread

I know I've posted these before, but not in this thread.

953060373_F7oy6-XL.jpg

The setup.....
953526796_BNbdS-XL.jpg

SB800 in 24x24" Lastolite softbox camera right (main), SB800 with 1/4 grid a few inches from camera on right (fill), SB800 bare shooting through lattice ~20' from background camera left (shadows on wall).

i-w5q9zCf-XL.jpg

Shot some fried rice for my food blog this week:

6312117199_d5710bea5f_o.jpg

LP160 @ 1/8 power to the left of the table and behind the bowl, just slightly above level, shot through a 43in umbrella. A second LP160 @ 1/16 power above the bowl and slightly to the right, also shot through a 43in umbrella. Black fabric hanging behind the table. 1/250,ISO100,35mm,f/5

shameless recipe plug :lol: -> Fried Rice Fundamentals – Vegan Vermonter

Cool effect of the lattice on the wall Kund... here is one I did that I have posted before with a similar effect....

Mike the Engineer by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

Most of the light is from the tungsten desk lamp, but the blue shades on the wall are the tried and true venetian blind gobo with, I think, 1/2 ctb. I used an on camera flash to trigger but it did contribute a small amount of fill so it's technically multiple ocf's.

Okay Bazz, here's one of mine using blinds.

Inside, SB800 in a 24x24" softbox with power set very low. Outside, SB800 bare with power and zoom set to max.

896065884_PS37m-XL.jpg

Same setup (I think), but pushed exposure of the subject in post.

896762824_z7M4a-XL.jpg

I might go back at some time and see if dropping the subject exposure would make a decent silhouette.

What is confusing you Trever? I would be glad to explain further. I do use the Lighting Diagrams, but not for every shot.

Man, I tried two different lighting setups and that site just doesn't have the things I need... like a boomed flash with an SB3 pointed down.... and no venetian blinds. :(

Confusing may have been a poor choice of words on my part. Seeing a diagram just makes everything christal clear for me, I suppose that's part of how I am, I just love a good diagram ;)

Man, I tried two different lighting setups and that site just doesn't have the things I need... like a boomed flash with an SB3 pointed down.... and no venetian blinds. :(

I just tried to do mine and couldn't figure out a downward pointed flash either.

Usually I just take a shot of the whole setup with a wide lens, but it slipped my mind this time.

How is this one? To me it just looks off :(

Per Derrel's suggestion: 3 SB-800's, 1 bounced off ceiling camera left next to wifey, 1 main silver umbrella cam left 45*, 1 shoot thru white umbrella just right of camera axis, silver reflector camera right next to wifey.

Purrr by Trever1t, on Flickr

To me the background is what feels off... I think it's at an in between level. She is very slightly underexposed, in order to accommodate the bright background. So, I would either, make the background bright enough to blow it completely, or farther away so that she gets more light than it does. I like the shape and intensity of the shadows though on her though, seems nicely balanced in that respect.

Thanks. Manual settings on both body and flashes. Key and fill at 1/4 power with key ~1/2 the distance to the subject. The ceiling bounce was at 1/16, should have I gone a bit more on that or perhaps just another flash aimed at the background.

Thank you for your comment.

Octabox cam left, beauty dish center (cam right of it all)

388425_2286399114069_1071635590_2498149_1569271512_n.jpg

Fabiana by Forkie, on Flickr

The lighting. Roughly. Not sure if the icons actually represent the type of lights I used, but it's what the set-up roughly looked like!

lightingdiagram13212873.jpg

The lights are 2 Bowens GM400s set just above camera level.

This one is me, taken of myself at arms length with the same lighting set up, except I was sitting closer to the camera-right strobe.

Me by Forkie, on Flickr

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back