Music in the Dark

FuryofNature

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.furyofnaturephotography.com
I really like this photo. I like the emotion in it. In your opinions, is it negative that the his sweatshirt gets lost in the blackness behind him, or does it add to it creatively. As in to say there is more to him hidden under the surface?

122605e.jpg

Thanks for looking. All comments/critiques/suggestions welcome.

_KA

Hmmm... tough one there. I would tend to say that it would work better with either some more information in the blackness (as you say the shirt is "lost") or perhaps (as I like the contrasty exposure) a tigher vertical crop to remove some of the background.

It's my opinion that the blackness does not say that he has hidden depths - when looking at a portrait the backdrop sets the context and you've deliberately lost the context, which draws attention to the subject, but doesn't send me any signals about his personality.

I hope this is helpful and constructive!

Rob

No it's not obvious and the picture is much better as a result. I might just gently rub the smooth tool over his cheek to reduce the highlight glare a tiny tiny bit as a very last touch, but otherwise you're there - great job!

Rob

I think the first shot it better. I like the solid black on the right. I think it woudl look marvelous as a silver print, and would like to see it without the warming filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back