Music vs. Photography

sultan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately, music has stolen my attention from photography. Why?

1. You can play an instrument whenever you want, without having to worry about the light or time or whatever else.
2. My bass clarinet is worth more than my cameras and it feels cool to have semi-rare expensive instrument bragging power.
3. You can ***** about equipment and still be respected in music. If you suck, you can often say that its your instruments fault. But for photographers...
4. You don't need to leave your house to play.
5. You can play for hours without getting bored.
6. You don't need to bother with that boring thing called "creativity" if you don't feel like. Just get music written by someone else who did all the "creative" work and play it.

How about you here at TPF? Does [playing] music steal your attention from photography?

Sorry, but I have to disagree with...all of that. You can probably tell from my user name, I play clarinets as well.

1. I can take pictures all day and all night. If I do the same with my instruments, I get pissed off roommates and neighbors.
2. If you want expensive, you might have to look beyond wind instruments. I have a professional Bb, A, and Eb, and it still costs less than my Violinist friend's bow
3. Well, you can say it's the instrument...but no one buys it. Same with photography.
4. You don't need to leave your house to take pictures. Just take a look around the Fight Club forum. 90% of those are from inside people's homes.
5. I must be special, because I am definitely capable of getting bored at the end of a practice session. And I can walk around morning through night with my camera and not get bored. Depends on the time, depends on the place, depends on the mood.
6. If you aren't using any creativity when playing pre-written music, you are REALLY doing it wrong.

This isn't to say that music doesn't take time from photography and vice versa...it's just definitely those reasons.

Haha photography stole my attention from playing guitar lol. Now I forgot how to play it and it's only good as a prop for my photos :p.

Haha photography stole my attention from playing guitar lol. Now I forgot how to play it and it's only good as a prop for my photos :p.

Same here. Photography took my attention away from playing drums. :lol::lol: And the fact, I have no where to set them up, and with the music scene the way it is, I cant find anyone who wants to jam the tunes I like. :er:
It is tough to play drums quietly. :lol: But I can quietly take pictures

I have both a cheap junk guitar and a cheap junk camera. I suck at both playing guitar and photography.

I will say, photography is far easier than playing a guitar, especially with cheap equipment. I am limited in photography only on my creativity with the limits of my camera meaning I can not achieve as sharp of an image or as shallow of DOF as I'd like. Understanding the howto of photography is easy. The cheap guitar is downright useless to try to learn anything on. I've had it for 4 years and can't play anything because it is just impossible to move my fingers that much to learn anything (talking the action on junk guitars here for those in the know).

Though I did this weekend just find a collection of videos on youtube that made a lot of what I look at with guitar music make a lot more sense. Previous I was just trying to follow tabs of music that I like and the music on those tabs now make so much more sense in how they are derived. Just have to get the fingertips calloused up so that I don't have to use the 300 ft/lb of pressure it takes to hold down the strings on a cheap guitar with fresh fingertips.

Lately, music has stolen my attention from photography. Why?

1. You can play an instrument whenever you want, without having to worry about the light or time or whatever else.
2. My bass clarinet is worth more than my cameras and it feels cool to have semi-rare expensive instrument bragging power.
3. You can ***** about equipment and still be respected in music. If you suck, you can often say that its your instruments fault. But for photographers...
6. You don't need to bother with that boring thing called "creativity" if you don't feel like. Just get music written by someone else who did all the "creative" work and play it.

How about you here at TPF? Does [playing] music steal your attention from photography?

1. From your statement I assume you're an amateur in both fields, music and photography.
2. Does it really matter that one's instrument is worth more than all of his/her cameras, especially when one sucks at playing it? (I'm not saying you suck at it, it's just for the sake of the argument). You can have a $20,000 camera and a $200 guitar and still suck at both. Or excel at both.
3. If I suck at music I suck because I don't practice, I don't blame my instrument. I have a very expensive instrument, worth as much as a house. That being said, it is true that better equipment makes you not necessarily a better performer/photographer but a better equipped one. It's up to the performer/photographer to make good use of it.
4. Yes, I do. I play professionally, in concert halls and other venues.
5. You wanna bet? I get so bored sometimes that all I think is about photography. :lol:
6. One thing about that last statement. A famous American Jazz figure once said "Making music is playing what's not written in the part". The same with photography, interpretation and creativity makes a great shot, otherwise it's just an old, plain snapshot. Creativity does not come from a composer, comes from the interpreter. Same with photography, nature offers a great score, one needs to interpret it.

Judging from all of the above, you realize I am a pro musician and an amateur photographer. However, when not bored with music I play, I concentrate on interpreting it, not just playing it. Making it my own. ;)

1. From your statement I assume you're an amateur in both fields, music and photography.
2. Does it really matter that one's instrument is worth more than all of his/her cameras, especially when one sucks at playing it? (I'm not saying you suck at it, it's just for the sake of the argument). You can have a $20,000 camera and a $200 guitar and still suck at both. Or excel at both.
3. If I suck at music I suck because I don't practice, I don't blame my instrument. I have a very expensive instrument, worth as much as a house. That being said, it is true that better equipment makes you not necessarily a better performer/photographer but a better equipped one. It's up to the performer/photographer to make good use of it.
5. You wanna bet? I get so bored sometimes that all I think is about photography. :lol:
6. One thing about that last statement. A famous American Jazz figure once said "Making music is playing what's not written in the part". The same with photography, interpretation and creativity makes a great shot, otherwise it's just an old, plain snapshot. Creativity does not come from a composer, comes from the interpreter. Same with photography, nature offers a great score, one needs to interpret it.

Judging from all of the above, you realize I am a pro musician and an amateur photographer. However, when not bored with music I play, I concentrate on interpreting it, not just playing it. Making it my own. ;)

Looks like we think a bit alike here :lol:

1. Yes, I'm an amateur in both and I like it that way.
2. That's not my point. Its just fun to brag about it when you've got poor friends who are easy to impress. But yes, the price of the equipment doesn't have anything to do with how well you play/photograph with it (except that pros usually use better instuments/camera).
3. Certainly. If you don't practice enough, it's indeed your fault. But you can get away with it once in a while if you say that you've got a bad reed or a sticky key or something like that. Instruments can be temperamental at times and sometimes it can be really the instruments fault. Not saying that you can suck and claim its the instruments fault though.
4. As an Amateur, not a Pro! Plus, a pro can still practice at home. And as for the other person who talked about fight club, yeah, you can take photos at home but they get dull after a while and *most* fight club photos suck (the winners are usually fine though).
5. Lol, it depends on what you do all day. If I was a pro who played all day, I might get tired of of it; especially if its a dull but difficult and repetitive part (uhh... overdramatized example: say 16 bars of seemingly random thirtysecond notes all over the place with random accidentals in 6/8 time in allegro) . But for me, as an amateur, I find it as a great reprieve from the "work" for the rest of us. I can play away for 3-4 hours without noticing the time.
6. I didn't say that it sounds good without creativity. You can certainly go the extra mile, putting every single ounce of your soul and creativity and voice, into it, and usually sounding like something beyond mediocrity. Its just that its possible to sound OK just playing as written (not that its any fun though). In classical, your ability to "interpret" the music (yourself) is quite restricted because conformity with the conductors vision is critical. With photography though, if you just point and shoot, it really looks like junk.

P.S. Nice playing and photos on ClarinetJWD (I looked at your site). :hail:

Last edited:
Its just that its possible to sound OK just playing as written (not that its any fun though). In classical, your ability to "interpret" the music (yourself) is quite restricted because conformity with the conductors vision is critical.

On the contrary, my friend, on the contrary. If all classical repertoire was to be played as written or as requested by X, Y or Z conductor, then that would be so boring I would simply quit playing the violin! When a conductor steps on the podium, he/she will wave the arms asking each and everyone of the musicians to play their part as written. However, their interpretation comes with the gestures, some conductors interpret one piece one way and others do it quite differently. As an orchestra musician I can make a choice to just read the music and play as directed or simply do that and add a bit of me, or my interpretation. If I make the first choice, I will be a correct musician, if I make the second, I will be both correct and inspiring to the colleagues around me and thus, infusing them with the desire to create music beyond what's written.

And one more thing, there's nothing wrong with being both a musician and a photographer. Ansel Adams started by being a concert pianist and performed quite often for friends later in life. ;)

P.S. Nice playing and photos on ClarinetJWD (I looked at your site). :hail:

Thanks :) This thread finally inspired me to pick up my clarinet again. I went to school for it, but spent a while working in Video Games, and just never got around to practicing anymore. I've decided to work up Lutoslawski's Dance Preludes again.

Indeed, but it's a lot more fun when there are other people to play with.

....no comment :lol:

Um... no. If you suck a $100 guitar, you'll suck on a $10,000 guitar. I guarantee it.

Agreed.

If you have a passion for the instrument, indeed.

You think "creativity" is boring? No wonder photography is earning less of your time.

On the contrary, my friend, on the contrary. If all classical repertoire was to be played as written or as requested by X, Y or Z conductor, then that would be so boring I would simply quit playing the violin! When a conductor steps on the podium, he/she will wave the arms asking each and everyone of the musicians to play their part as written. However, their interpretation comes with the gestures, some conductors interpret one piece one way and others do it quite differently. As an orchestra musician I can make a choice to just read the music and play as directed or simply do that and add a bit of me, or my interpretation. If I make the first choice, I will be a correct musician, if I make the second, I will be both correct and inspiring to the colleagues around me and thus, infusing them with the desire to create music beyond what's written.

And one more thing, there's nothing wrong with being both a musician and a photographer. Ansel Adams started by being a concert pianist and performed quite often for friends later in life. ;)

Agreed. If you can blend your inner voice with your playing while still observing the conventions to fit in with the orchestra, you will be able to transcend the boundaries and inspire.

Unfortunately, I lack the skill to make such music that deserves such fancy words :) Particularly, I break down while under pressure, sometimes even playing wrong notes :(

Thanks :) This thread finally inspired me to pick up my clarinet again. I went to school for it, but spent a while working in Video Games, and just never got around to practicing anymore. I've decided to work up Lutoslawski's Dance Preludes again.

GOOD!!!! I expect to hear it next time I'm there. I miss listening to you (and your roommates, and your neighbors) play. :(

Agreed. If you can blend your inner voice with your playing while still observing the conventions to fit in with the orchestra, you will be able to transcend the boundaries and inspire.

Unfortunately, I lack the skill to make such music that deserves such fancy words :) Particularly, I break down while under pressure, sometimes even playing wrong notes :(

Sultan, keep in mind that you are both your worst critic and worst enemy if you think like that. I used to be so effing nervous every time I picked up the instrument to play for an audience or for an audition, but that's happened a long time ago. Think about it... What's the worst that can happen? Miss a note, an entrance? Big deal! You won't miss it the second time around. It's all a mental game, if you may. Let the music fly, pretend you're at home, sometimes pretend you need to teach them (audience) how to play the Bass Clarinet. In the end, you win and with you, the audience. You're making music without having to worry. ;)

If you need chatting more on this subject (music), feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Best.

I was always taught that the notes were the third most important thing. First is rhythm, second is expression and phrasing, third is the notes. One of my favorite recordings (Shostakovich's 5th with Leningrad conducted by Mravinsky) has tons of wrong notes, but it's still spectacular for the interpretation and musicality

Most reactions

Back