Music vs. Photography

a switch between the 2 alot

i have periods where all i want to do is drum
sometimes i just wanna produce a mix and spend my money on more DJing gear

then i see something take a few photos, next day im back buying camera stuff -.-

endless cycle of ££££££££££

Yea ill say photography is what stops me from playing bass. Id rather get some good shots then mess with my bass. haha

well this thread FLOPPED!

p.s. music is awesome. photography awesomer (because I'm good at it).

Same here...

I have a Fender Strat, but I take pictures of it more often than I play it.
I have never really been good at playing guitar... I've thought about selling it and all the related gear I have, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm not that good, but I don't suck so bad that I'm ready to completely give up on it.

well this thread FLOPPED!

I should have stuck to playing drums. I suck at photography, but love playing drums more. :er: The diff being, with photography, I can get my creativeness out, with drums, I am limited to what I can create...sort of...but you get the gig. :lol::lmao::lol:

I should have stuck to playing drums. I suck at photography, but love playing drums more. :er: The diff being, with photography, I can get my creativeness out, with drums, I am limited to what I can create...sort of...but you get the gig. :lol::lmao::lol:

Suck at photgraphy, well thats a load of crap. Never having heard you play drums I can't tell if it is better than your photography.

Well I was handed a camera at 9 so, I was ruined for anything to do with music.

What is the difference between hand made music and hand mode photographics? The one is for your ears, the other for your eyes, but both is for your pleasure. ;)
Im playing since 30 Years instruments like guitar, bass or keyboards. It never happened, to be a star, but i find pleasure and peace in sitting for a while and doing some tunes. Creating creative tunes is not that complicated. And in my mind, the music helps me, to handle my kind of photography different than as a tourist-photographer. For example:
I sit there and create a basic tune, some drums and base and chords, than i have to play a sologuitar over it, that gives me fun and some distance from the real world, where i have to handle my life with counts and taxes.
I go the same way to my photography, i see a theme and start to cut the right angle with my eyes, in my mind i knew how to photoshop on the digitized image and have a look for any part an the scene trough my ocular. Its sometimes, like doing CGI. Only 10% of my pics are printed out of the cam, the most have a little bit photoshopping on it. But i knew that in the moment of hitting the Button "Klick", then the picture is on its way, to end in a maybe usable result.
For me is that the same as making music, if you are familiar with your intruments.
playing an instrument is only a learning Thing, handle a camera is personally to me the same and i´m shure, some of our members have in both reasens some trouble, to start the right way, but if they find the first chord, it goes its way.

Hope, i learned my english not to bad, to tell my opinnion on that point.

greetings peter

I like to mix my music and photography :)

tokina5-small.jpg

tokina6-small.jpg

Taken with Canon XSi and Tokina 11-16mm

I've always had a love for music that nothing can really overcome, not even photography.

Good thread I've been shifting between these 2 for years now. I'm looking to focus more on photography going forward. Still love music though

They say (and I agree) that paying music actually alters how your brain works (and for the better). I've described photography as requiring both left (technical) and right (artistic) brained thinking. I think these two activities have an interesting thing in common: the type of cognitive engagement and the resulting satisfaction.

Music and photography are both interesting. I must say that the relevancy will depend on the preference of a person. One may affect the other and for me in a very positive way. I'm more inspired to take photos when there is a good music around.

It's good to have varied hobbies. It can make a person more relaxed about their approach to each one individually. And ideas can relate from one to the other. I find that if i focus on some subject of a hobby that is diverse, say like sound recording, and it's more 'narrow' and laborious in some ways than other activities it can improve my abilities. After a few days doing field recordings - ambient recordings - and post-producing them, this improves my approach to recording electronic music, say with regard to compressor settings and eq decisions. Also art painting - which for me is more slower and laborious than photography, gives me a fresher attitude to using my camera.

Music wins in the 5th round when the rhythm section kicks the photographers @$$.

Most reactions

Back