Musical Pattern C&C (BESP)

K.Li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Aim:

Second project: Toe The Line

Our aim is to create two images with the theme lines and abstract.

This project is very different to the previous one and much unexpected. I have never actually tried to do any abstract work before and it is much harder than I ever thought.

There are lines everywhere we go, but to display it in an artistic way is very difficult. It takes a lot of time and creativity, which I am lacking at the moment. And we also need to hand up two images, so double the fun!

Setting:

Image 1

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: 35mm F1.8G
Focal Length 35mm
Aperture: F/2
Shutter 1/30s
ISO: 800
Lighting: Natural light

Image 2

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: 35mm F1.8G
Focal Length 35mm
Aperture: F/2
Shutter 1/80s
ISO: 800
Lighting: Natural light

Image:
1)
4433439689_323b73983d_b.jpg

2)
4434215002_b0324e15c6_b.jpg

Conclusion:

Overall the project was very challenging and requires a good eye for great image and wild imagination, and having to produce two images did not help.
I think the photos turned out decent but I feel a lack of abstract feel to it.
Hopefully I will be able to improve on that by seeing other’s creative image.

1 has very nice exposure although the background keeps pulling me away from the subject of the photo.

2. very nice pattern, the lighting here is very nice and accents it even more. The crispness of the photo also adds to the allure of the photo and just makes me wonder what this is, maybe a wicker basket of some sorts.

I like both of them...im just not getting the "abstract" feel from either.
#1 is very neat. I actually like it alot. The background towards the bottom right does pull my attnetion..but i actually like that part of it.
#2 a basket? I keep trying to focus my eyes when i look at it lol. Neat shot..but again, just doesnt have the right feel to it. At least not the feel i think we are suppose to get....
Now that im done giving my C&C...Please understand that this is way out of the norm for me as well...This has definately been a challenge!!!! Im almost scared to post mine...!

#1 is OK. It's not terribly abstract, but I seems like you were really looking at how the lines all played together and I think it is a decent composition.

#2 falls into the "simple repeated patter with no thought about composition" category. At least K.Li can acknowledge that.

Natural_Disaster, don't be afraid to post yours. This project gives me a good indication of thought process, and where everyone is at. Then I can try my bestest to address the areas that need expanded upon. What is the primary goal of this whole "school" experiment thing? To push you creatively. It seems I am doing that.

#1: There is a strong use of lines here... diagonal lines mixed with the curves of the G-clef symbol. I like the soft DOF and the soft light, they are complimentary. But looking at the image disturbs me and I'm not sure why... this maybe just me and maybe I'm just feeling disturbed at the moment, who knows. But I think it might be because you have two repeating patterns of diagonal lines going in two directions. I wonder how much a difference it would make if one set of your lines were horizontal to more correspond with the feeling that the softness of the image (and sometimes, music) gives.

#2: I like this one. You used the short DOF to single out a line to use as 'homebase', but my eyes weren't afraid to wander around to look at the different variations of the others, but I kept returning safely to the in-focus line with it's pleasant weave. I wonder if you chose to skew the near-vertical lines and not have them exactly vertical, and if so, what your thoughts on that were?

I like the second photo best.

The first photo just doens't appeal to me much, nor does it seem so much of an abstract composition. I think the floor is the most interesting part of the image, and it draws my attention more than the subject.

The second photo has an interesting depth of field, a pleasing repeating pattern/weave, and interesting lighting (with natural light even :thumbup: ). It definately seems more abstract than the first. I'm going to guess that this was patio furniture, vinyl made to look like wicker, just because I have some that looks just like this up close haha.

While it's quite distinguishable and not really an abstract, I like the use of lines in the first shot as well as the colors, pleasing. I would like to see a bit more head room and the focus point moved up about half the distance.

I feel your pain on #2. I took a few like that too. :hugs:

Most reactions

Back