Must have portrait lens?

No way. Her camera rocks! Plus if you like to spot meter - a lot of Canons only spot meter from the center whereas Nikons meter off the active focal point.Not saying Nikons are better in any way, shape or form but....she already has an awesome camera!
Oh yeah, not saying she doesn't. I was just telling here there is options if she made the wrong choice on the camera brand due to prices. Whichever she decides on, I'm sure it'll be a great camera for what she needs.

I shoot portraits all the time. Get 85mm. 50 is nice if you have no money but go with the 85 if you want to step it up.

Depends on what kind of portraits. If you want shoulders/head >> 85mm

Full body/Groups >> 24/35mm on a crop sensor.

I have an 85mm but have not used it yet for tight spaces....have not used it much sorry to say....

Personally, I use the 85mm f/1.8 almost exclusively for self portraits, but then again, they are usually no more than 3/4 shots, not full body. If you want to use the Search function, I won't bother posting examples here. But a word to the wise........ I like showing off. :biglaugh:

24-70mm is what you need. Now don't think twice, just buy it. You will appreciate our suggestions later.

I shoot portraits all the time. Get 85mm. 50 is nice if you have no money but go with the 85 if you want to step it up.

In a 15'x20' space.. on a DX body? Maybe for headshots.. but I think she wants more than that!

Most reactions

Back