Must have portrait lens?

MrsLittle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still having difficulty choosing a lens to get. There are so many options out there and every review is misleading.

Say I were to photograph mostly in a studio space 15X20, what would be your go to portrait lens?

I can't decide between the 24-70, 85 1.4 and many many more. HELP! I'm so ready to click the Checkout button on my cart.

Well, the 24-70 will definately work but, the 85 may be to tight and you can zoom out any. The safe choice would be the 24-70 unless you can rent an 85 to see first.

Well, the 24-70 will definately work but, the 85 may be to tight and you can zoom out any. The safe choice would be the 24-70 unless you can rent an 85 to see first.

Have a 24-70 ... beautiful, beautiful lens. Love it and love the versatility of the zoom - can quickly capture a range of looks ... BUT I haven't used an 85 / 1.4 so I can't compare. (I can say you won't be disappointed with the 24-70). My $0.02 worth.

I use a nikor 24-70 in the studio, recently I bought a 50mm prime I'll use too. My 24-70 on the D700 gets heavy in the studio, its huge.

I didn't go for the 85mm because i also use a 70-200 and its proven to be tight in the studio unless I have it down on 70 anyway.

I'm a college photography student and attending several lighting classes that are all about studio.

indoors with your space limitations I would also say go 24-70 or maybe 17-50.

That is about the size of my living room. I have both a 24-70 2.8 and an 85 1.4. On a DX (APS-C Sensor) body, the 85 is pretty tight (except for head shots), especially if you are working with white backgrounds that need to be lit. I usually use my 50 1.4 for that... and even it is too tight for full body shots with the DX body. The 24-70 works very well with the DX in that space. FX Body (full frame) is a different story.. the 50 and the 85 both do very well.. depending on subject and type of shot wanted, and of course... the 24-70 excels.

Hope that helps.

In the 'studio' and in tight areas I use the 24-70f2.8 (FX body) but it's far from my favorite lens. I find it rather boring compared to the 70-200f2.8 but indoors, in tight spaces you're very limited. The 85f1.4 is very high on my want list for outdoor/less limited spaces. The wider aperture will be sweet for lower light and lower DOF images.

Just between the 2 lens, I will choose 24-70 over the 85mm because

1. Tight space. 85mm maybe too long unless you only want head shots
2. Most of the time, you do not need a fast lens for studio shots. Most likely you will use f/5.6 - f/11 anyway, you won't gain much for having f/1.4 for studio shots.

Looking at your profile, you list D7000 as your camera body which is a crop frame sensor. an 85mm on that body would be like a 127.5 on a FF and that would be too tight for the size room you have. I think the 85mm is intended as a FF portrait lens. a 56 mm lens will give you the same perspective on a crop frame as the 85 on a FF. Another choice might be the 17-55 2.8 DX. Not cheap but nice range and pretty fast at 2.8. If 3.5 will do then look at the 18-55. Cheap and fine if you stop it down to about f8 or so.

Good luck

Thanks everyone! I think 24-70 might be the best bet for me. I only have the 50mm right now, although I love it, I do feel like I am missing out. I tried shooting a photo with my sb700 and reflector, but it just doesn't pop to me. I need the versatility and quality that comes from that lens.

This is a photo I took of my son and he doesn't really pop from the photo to me. Yeah I'm just a beginner, but I believe if you're gonna do something, do it right the first time.

DSC_3173_edited-4 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

Thanks everyone! I think 24-70 might be the best bet for me. I only have the 50mm right now, although I love it, I do feel like I am missing out. I tried shooting a photo with my sb700 and reflector, but it just doesn't pop to me. I need the versatility and quality that comes from that lens.

This is a photo I took of my son and he doesn't really pop from the photo to me. Yeah I'm just a beginner, but I believe if you're gonna do something, do it right the first time.

DSC_3173_edited-4 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

The 24-70 may not be the solution to that pic popping over the 50. I have both lenses.

Not sure what you mean 2wheel, does it not get better results past 50?

If I get the 24-70 I will also have to put my ab800 on hold. Do you think the light is sufficient to be able to invest more on a lens than more lighting and cheaper lens combo? I figure that if I get the lens then my solution for lighting would be shooting in daytime to get more fill. I shot this one in the evening with just my lighting I already have.

I am pretty much asking if you would invest in more lighting and cheaper lens or go with 24-70 since I will be shooting a lot outdoors too. I think I have enough lighting to skimp on Alien bee until July and get a better lens now.

Last edited:
The pop comes more from the lighting and editing. In the pic of your son he is a bit overexposed and this will cause some detail to be lost. I would say lower the exposure just a bit and add a little more contrast. If you have PS i would suggest adjusting the shadow and highlight values so you can fine tune the contrast in a better more subtle way. You might also try adjusting the angle of your reflector or the distance between it and the subject.

Also clothing choice would make a difference. Try to avoid white on white as you have going here and see if it is more to your liking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back