must i turn off DSLR every time when i change lens?

I use a USB cable to connect my camera...is it really that dangerous?

Now that I think about it though, it's sort of an $1800 body and a $3000 computer...

I think I'll get a card reader today or tomorrow.

yeah i use a card read as well, its because its alot easier to get pics off the card.

as for the format your card everytime you pull pics off, wow that's a bit excessive. removes additional risk? like what? computer virus? lol

B: Never connect a cable to your camera. That USB port? A me-too feature for consumers. Do NOT hook a very expensive camera to an electrically-charged cable connected to a very expensive computer. It's a bad idea. Get a card reader.

C: Format your memory card every time after you've pulled images off it. Takes three seconds, and removes additional risk.

What? Me, and millions of other people around the world have been hooking up their cameras to their computers through USB cables for years, and I've NEVER heard of it going wrong. That's what camera manufactures supply the cable for. It's actually reccomended in the manual, and doesn't void the warranty. If the camera is turned off when you hook it up, and you turn it on to activate it, what's the problem?

And why does formatting the card reduce risk, and risk of what? I've only heard of formatting once you start using it in a new appliance.

On topic: actually, today I was looking through my D40's manual and it said to turn off when removing lenses. After what others have said, probably worth that tiny bit of extra effort.

On topic: actually, today I was looking through my D40's manual and it said to turn off when removing lenses. After what others have said, probably worth that tiny bit of extra effort.

my 40d manual does not say. all it shows is how to mount / detach the lens. doesnt say turning off cam or leave it on.

can other 40d owners plz confirm?

^ It's my first ever DSLR, so I felt the need to learn how to operate it. For my next one, I'll be sure to join the cool crowd and screw the manual haha.

What? Me, and millions of other people around the world have been hooking up their cameras to their computers through USB cables for years, and I've NEVER heard of it going wrong. That's what camera manufactures supply the cable for. It's actually reccomended in the manual, and doesn't void the warranty. If the camera is turned off when you hook it up, and you turn it on to activate it, what's the problem?

And why does formatting the card reduce risk, and risk of what? I've only heard of formatting once you start using it in a new appliance.

I've heard of several people (incl. this forum, do a search) whereby the cable-to-camera doesn't mount properly. Then the camera is in some kind of weird limbo, and you have to reinstall the firmware. I've personally nuked a motherboard on a computer by poorly attaching a UISB device - though not a camera.

The re-formatting reduces the risk of losing images. If you shoot for a living you want to make sure your gear is a prepped as possible. A quick reformat helps mitigate risk.

I've heard of several people (incl. this forum, do a search) whereby the cable-to-camera doesn't mount properly. Then the camera is in some kind of weird limbo, and you have to reinstall the firmware. I've personally nuked a motherboard on a computer by poorly attaching a UISB device - though not a camera.

The re-formatting reduces the risk of losing images. If you shoot for a living you want to make sure your gear is a prepped as possible. A quick reformat helps mitigate risk.

Ever shot tethered?

Good point... the only time I've ever shot tethered was with Hassy and a digital back... and I don't remember how we hooked it up.

Meh, shows you what know...

B: Never connect a cable to your camera. That USB port? A me-too feature for consumers. Do NOT hook a very expensive camera to an electrically-charged cable connected to a very expensive computer. It's a bad idea. Get a card reader.

Lol?

I have yet to use the camera to computer cable for uploading images. I always use a card reader.

One horror story sold me on the idea. This person was uploading straight from new camera to computer and there was a service spike which fried the camera electronics. (obviously no secondary survival) True or not I could care less. I live in a rural area and service spikes and drop-offs are not uncommon. With a card reader I will only loose a segment of data if/when this occurs.

I have yet to use the camera to computer cable for uploading images. I always use a card reader.

One horror story sold me on the idea. This person was uploading straight from new camera to computer and there was a service spike which fried the camera electronics. (obviously no secondary survival) True or not I could care less. I live in a rural area and service spikes and drop-offs are not uncommon. With a card reader I will only loose a segment of data if/when this occurs.
That is why they make line conditioners/surge protectors for the equipment. The USB port will not surge unless the whole system gets slammed too. I have been hooking up my cameras for many years with no ill affect.
Now on changing lenses. What I have read is you risk causing a static charge to the lense CPU. Cant remember where I saw it thogh.

TBH anyone whos got expensive electronics on this kind of grid without surge protectors is pushing his luck.

So not really an argument against USB per se.

TBH anyone whos got expensive electronics on this kind of grid without surge protectors is pushing his luck.

So not really an argument against USB per se.

Most cheaper consumer surge protectors(power strips) don't do squat. If you are interested in a good one you have to drop a fair sum of money, but probably worth the money for some people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back