my 1st moon pic

rickp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i shot this kinda out of the blue..... saw the moon was up high and clear and spent about 5 minutes shooting it in different modes, (didnt spend any longer cos it was freezing cold. anyways C&C away:blushing:

mymoonpichandheld.jpg

I would have used a smaller aperture (larger number) to conquer the brightness
and in moon shots, since there is nothing else to focus on, it is safe to center it then crop 100% into it :p
nice attempt, i am yet to capture the moon (the moon has been stolen from us :( i can't find it!!!!!)
once i find the moon im gunna try take a picture of it

As noted, you need to expose for the moon as if it were an object in daylight. It is really bright in the night sky. I've found the using the camera's meter doesn't get you to where you need to be. I switch to manual and fire a few shots until I get the aperture set just right. If you tone down the brightness you'll pull more detail out of the moon. Here's one for last week I shot because I was bored.

555717679_GUTxo-L.jpg

Not looking to start a forum fight, and maybe the OP is okay with it,.. but isn't it a little rude to post your own pictures in someone else's thread? It takes away from the OP's picture(s).

paul, tharmsen was using it purly as an example of what you can achieve with decent settings, i think rick would be fine with it as it is an example of what he should be aiming to get (Y) :D

paul, tharmsen was using it purly as an example of what you can achieve with decent settings, i think rick would be fine with it as it is an example of what he should be aiming to get (Y) :D

Yes, I understand, I was tempted to do it too,.. but it kind of s+cks posting something that you are proud of, and then being shown-up by someone more experienced. It's a hard call to make.

I don't think it's a hard call to make, showing an example for the sake of learning.

It's a nice, sharp picture, but it's way too bright. If you have a tripod and a reasonably long lens (200mm+), try using spot metering, and getting the moon exactly central in the frame. You should get a reasonably high shutter speed. If you handhold, then try setting the exposure as if you were shooting an object in daylight. If it's too bright/too dark, then re-adjust.

Also, no offence intended, but there are plenty of moon shots out there, very few stand out unless they're used for creative effect. Still, keep practising, experiment with what works & doesn't, with different modes, etc, and have fun!

Start off about f8 and 1/250th for shutter speed and little adjustments from there should get you dialed in.

thanks for the coments guys, and no i dont mind having tharmsen post his moon pic on here as it really does show thw difference between the two pictures.

by looking at his picture i can see that mine although sharp doesnt have the detail that it should.

ill attempt another shot soon, but this time i think ill use the tripod and play with the aperture a little more, as tamiyaguy and Defy recomended

i might give the spot metering method as well.

then ill post the pics.

moon pic !Star
clear.gif

May work for you, may not, but when photographing the moon, I always start in manual at 'sunny/16' and work from there.

this awesome. every day i learn somethin new. now i understand what sunny 16 is and i think it will come in handy as i plan on getting a lens that does not meter on my d60. thanks.

Most reactions

Back