My 1st "very Crude" lightbox

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got a bug up my butt to build sometihng today. I decided to try to build a lightbox. It needs some work to it, but will work for now. I just need to get some lamps. I was just my SB-600 for the ring picture.

C&C are greatly appreciated on the picture and how to improve the lightbox.

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

The white balance is off and the image is very soft looks out of focus. Lots of people give me a hard time for suggesting this but use your tripod when doing lightbox shots. Also use a self timer or remote release so you dont create camera shake when shooting. Also close up the aperture to give you more DOF and get the entire ring in focus.

That is more of a whitebox than a lightbox. A lightbox should have tissue paper or some transparent paper to diffuse the light through the walls to make it less harsh and focused. Being that you used thick foam board, this is not possible.

All this box will do is create a white background, but you will still be using direct, harsh light, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I used this as a reference to build mine:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

TheSon, thank you. This "whitebox" confused my little knowledge on lightboxes.

Also, I don't know much about them, but I thought you didn't want any visible seam at all? In your picture, I can see a seam in the top left corner.

Thanks for all the input. At least I didn't spend a whole lot on this. I think I spent $5 on the whole thing.

That is more of a whitebox than a lightbox. A lightbox should have tissue paper or some transparent paper to diffuse the light through the walls to make it less harsh and focused. Being that you used thick foam board, this is not possible.

All this box will do is create a white background, but you will still be using direct, harsh light, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I used this as a reference to build mine:
Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

Actually the material that he used to make the box is somewhat translucent enough to allow light to pass through much less light than tissue paper.

Actually the material that he used to make the box is somewhat translucent enough to allow light to pass through much less light than tissue paper.

There is no way light can pass through foam board. Care to elaborate?

Thanks for all the input. At least I didn't spend a whole lot on this. I think I spent $5 on the whole thing.

I spent $4 on the one I described...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back