My 2 cents about the Sony DSLR-A55 SLT

Ok, we have upgraded our glass.

Sigma AF 50-150mm f/2.8
Minolta AF 100-300mm APO f/4.5-5.6
Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 macro

The Sigma is REALLY sharp wide open ... I had a very tough time trying to obtain this lens. Sigma discontinued it and announced a replacement 6 months ago which has not appeared.
Though we really have not put our new lenses to the test, I am hopeful that it will compliment the A55 (as we cannot afford Sony G or Zeiss lenses).

FYI burst mode is increadable.....My a55 is awsome, the EVF i think is way better than optical...Sony has stepped out in front of the pack....if canon and nikon dont do something fast.....oh well

I am one of the people that went to Sony because I had Minolta Glass from previous cameras. I bought an A550 to get started. I have been drooling over the A55 since about 2 days after I got my 550 but now I am watching the long awaited A65 and A77 releases. I think I want the 77. But no matter what any says, Sony is starting to make their mark in the Camera market, and it could shake it up some with the new Gen of mirror-less units.

Thanks for the info on the A55, its appreciated.

Kevin

I am waiting for Sony to put out more Alpha lenses.
They need to get the gaps filled.

Not the SLT-A77 ??

I could really use a weather-proof camera ... left my Canon newF-1 in the rain once.

dxqcanada said:
Honestly, I would only currently recommend the Sony line-up to those that already have Minolta lenses ... or until Sony really extends their lens line up.

My wife had Minolta Maxxum equipment so it was natural for us to continue that route (Canon made my FD lenses useless !!!)

This post is for those currently using Minolta/Sony DSLR's.

Well... I will chime in here. IMO, you don't need 7 50mm lenses. I always laughed at this comment. Yes canikon have more lenses, however alot of them are overlap.

Plus there are millions of minolta lenses which are of superior build quality compared to canon and nikon units. The famous beer can lens is a tank.

So I would jump into Sony instead of running away because of the great glass that's readily available from the misinformed brand changers once Sony bought out minolta.

I am in the process of loading up on minolta glass.

I have been using an a55 for a year now and will receive two a77 next week. I have loved my a55's. I like the price point a lot. In my work I have had a lot of cameras destroyed. I cover dissident groups in North America. I have had several cameras confiscated for periods of time as well by police agencies. I have had several cameras stolen. I like the quality off photo I get and the high shooting speed. I would not go back to Cannon which I used prior.

I to have been the recipient of a lot of comments for using Sony.

I know about that ... I will never use my A55 for studio strobe, so it does not affect me ... though I will say that Sony's got to get on the ball and make a firmware fix for that if they want to be respected by Pros.

I know about that ... I will never use my A55 for studio strobe, so it does not affect me ... though I will say that Sony's got to get on the ball and make a firmware fix for that if they want to be respected by Pros.

You don't know what you are missing, i have always shot sports and was not bothered about shooting in a studio but when i tried it i was hooked

I have done studio shooting. Not my cup of tea ... not something I was interested in ... though I will have to say that it did solidify my understanding of using light.

I don't like using artificial light in general.

Most reactions

Back