My apologies President Carter

Aquamojo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forum.aquamojo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK...here's a funny story. I worked with the American Forces Radio and Television division of the U.S. Army for close to nine years. In this capacity I had the great fortune to not only travel, but also interview and photograph many important and interesting people...Mohammad Ali, Alexander Haig, Terry Bradshaw, and even some of our past presidents.

Take a look at the photo below. See the guy giving the camera the "stink eye"? President Carter was visiting the troops in Korea. He was an avid runner and wanted to jog with troops in Camp Casey...a military base literally along the DMZ (demilitarized zone) of South Korea. In my capacity as photographer I was often tasked with getting photos for the various news outlets (Associated Pres, UPI, TV Networks) So I was sent to photograph the president jogging with the troops. Because of the various stages of clearance along the way I was delayed in getting to the base.

The run was already in progress...and I had no idea how long I would have to get my shot. So I started running down one of the base lanes hoping to get a shot of Carter leading the run with the troops. As I came around a blind corner...i literally ran directly into the president...knocking him on his ass. I was swarmed by Secret Service. When they realized it was an accident...I was so overwhelmed by what happened I could hardly breath...I was let go. I stepped back and got a few shots (motor drive for all the old school photo hogs) of Mr. Carter waving that he was OK. The "stink-eye" guy was obviously upset and never took his eyes off me.

Carter-web.jpg

090827es08.jpg
COOL!
That must have been sweet, being a news photographer back then in that part of the world.
This is a photo of President Carter on a tour to the Middle East, a couple weeks ago. He was visiting an Arab family that was evicted out of their home in Jerusalem in favor of Jewish settlers.

Most reactions

Back