My Backyard Feeding / Watering Station

rstrick2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rstrick2.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are some photos of my Backyard bird Photography setup. I use my shed as a blind. I set all the feeders and water to be just past my lens minimum shooting distance. I sit in there and wait. I place several feeders with a variety of different foods. I placed a birdbath out here as well. The water I believe is the most important especially in the dry months. Along side of the shed in a Cherry Laurel, tree which produces berries. I also have a border of trees you cannot see. I planted some Mexican Sunflower to be used as perches. I also have a flowering plant called Turks Cap. On the other side of the shed, I have planted Jasmine. This is where I shot the cardinal in the bath that won the NWF 2008 Backyard Habitat. This year I am going to make a small pond with the top of the Birdbath. By placing it in the ground and place dirt around it and some stones it will look more natural. A good backyard setup needs cover for the bird, such as trees, brush piles, and thick flowering bushes. It includes four feeders and a birdbath. I use a variety of seeds for the feeders. Most birds favor the Sunflower seeds. However, a variety of seeds will draw in many different species. This allows me to take full advantage of the bird situation I have right in my own backyard.

I position the feeders and birdbath so there is a good light, a good background and a perfect distance from my shed. My storage shed becomes my blind so that the birds and other wildlife are not alarmed when they come to feed or bathe. Inside the shed, I setup my camera equipment. I sit waiting patiently for birds to come in. At this point patience is a virtue.

The birdbath is essential because the birds need fresh water everyday. In Citrus County, Florida, it is dry during the winter months, November through April and the birds enjoy a drink as well as a bath. Some birds just come and have a cool refreshing drink, while other prefer to get in the bath a splash up a storm. The Cardinals seem to want to do it all. They come to drink, splash a little and get right in and let their feathers down and soak up the fresh water. This particular Cardinal came in to drink but decided to take a shower. My terms for a bird shower are the relentless dipping and splashing the birds do once they decide to get in the birdbath. Once he was satisfied with his shower he decided to hunker down and soak up the refreshing cool water. As he was soaking, he spread out his feathers and let his down feathers soak up the water. Meanwhile I am sitting patiently in my shed taking his photo.

backyard-2.jpg

backyard.jpg

_MG_3911backyard.jpg

That looks like an excellent setup. Good work.

Robert, Are you placing a few sticks as props? If not, I'd consider doing that.....it looks better IMO, without the cluttered background. ;) Can't wait to see your pond!

I'm in the process of constructing my own backyard pond. It's still a work in progress, but I think I have it wide enough. I'm going to post the completed set-up when I'm done. I've been posting a few photos here and on my nature photography blog.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back