blackphoenix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some pics of my fiance today to work on my portfolio of actual people
45840480295_377cbb8f0c_z.jpg
46702962482_1ec8865474_z.jpg

I have to ask why you chose this particular location? You show an attractive young lady with hair that I have to think would look amazing in the bright sunlight I see behind her, yet you've got her in a rather dreary looking hallway... The location, the mixed lighting and the almost sickly green cast of the background ambient light really detract here.

Take her outside, find a nice location with an attractive background and workable light and go for it!

the weather wasn't good at all today, very cold and rainy, but i understand what you're saying! i appreciate the feedback! it does look good in the sunlight. if you have any other tips on human subjects i would gladly appreciate it! Thank you!

As Tirediron said why this location. Not sure you could have picked a worse spot. From location, to composition, to posing, to exposure , to lighting, you've managed a swing and miss on all. Rather then comment on this, may I suggest you first do a little reading. Do a Google search on the points I mentioned , you'll find tons of video out there to guide you along. See if you can get your hands on books by John Hedgecoe, your local library may have some, if not they can be had used online for less then $20. Try "How To Take Great Photographs" or The Art Of Digital Photography" both will start you in the right direction. Here's another great guide on lighting https://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0415719402

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well this photos are just practice. I appreciate the feedback to help me become a better photographer! i'll do some research on the things mentioned above. i'm still learning the ropes of professional photography

thank you! the critiques are really helping

Edited the photo a bit. critiques?
46702962482_30f9b83193_z.jpg

i'm still learning the ropes of professional photography

I mean no disrespect but do you think that Tagovailoa or Hurt walked on the field one day and told Saban they wantd to learn the ropes of being a quarterback? Photography while not as physical is the same, you have to start with the basics, you learn, you practice and with a little luck and talent then you can one day aspire to be a professional.

As to the edit, it still doesn't address the problems already mentioned. Nor will it fix the complete missed focus on the face and lack of DOF, horrible light or the fact that her eyes are closed. These are things that you will recognize before you click the shutter if you take some time to learn.

Last edited:
I've been impatient about it, it seems. I understand that it takes practice and patience to be a professional photographer. I've been teaching myself to take critiques better and not take it personal. thank you!

I've been impatient about it, it seems. I understand that it takes practice and patience to be a professional photographer. I've been teaching myself to take critiques better and not take it personal. thank you!

I think once you get into the basics you'll forget the impatience, because you learn a lot as you go. The main thing is to start right, and develop good habits that you don't have to fight to correct later. Most of the larger cities in Alabama have some opportunities either in clubs or in local camera stores. I know there's a store in Huntsville and Auburn that can help. In Birmingham there are two or three photography clubs that can be a great place to learn. I'm sure there's others around the state.

This light is flat. Also I see some gradation from her head down. If anything, the light ought to be more even. The bright light in the background should not be in the shot.

1. Learn to watch the background for distracting elements.
2. Learn flash, and how to create "modeling" light.
3. Learn how to pose your model.

I think once you get into the basics you'll forget the impatience, because you learn a lot as you go. The main thing is to start right, and develop good habits that you don't have to fight to correct later. Most of the larger cities in Alabama have some opportunities either in clubs or in local camera stores. I know there's a store in Huntsville and Auburn that can help. In Birmingham there are two or three photography clubs that can be a great place to learn. I'm sure there's others around the state.
There are some resources. im trying to network more to get more in the photography scene and get involved in clubs and groups

This light is flat. Also I see some gradation from her head down. If anything, the light ought to be more even. The bright light in the background should not be in the shot.

1. Learn to watch the background for distracting elements.
2. Learn flash, and how to create "modeling" light.
3. Learn how to pose your model.
ok this is all really helpful, later tonight im going to be researching this all and practicing my shots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back