My Big Day Out - Old RAF Base

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve tried to do some research on this place, hence the trip to the Air Museum, all on the same day.

From what i can find it was used as a flight school, and had 2 runways. These are no longer there due to the Quarry which is close by. There are only three buildings which remain at the sight. One building i assume was a workshop or something; it had a sorting rack which lists all the old Imperial Nut and Bolt sizes, marker penned on.

The main building is the control tower which is in sound condition structurally. The entrance has been blocked off with a massive bit of concrete, but being skinny, wasn’t a problem.

Ill draw up some rough plans and post them later, but through the door, you have the Officers Office, and a store room. The only ones named. The place is gutted with hardly any original features. There was a cabinet in the end room, but nothing inside.

A concrete set of stairs by the door lead up to the control deck. There are two rooms up here, the main one at the front the length of the building, which leads out onto a viewing platform, with stairs leading to the roof, and a hatch in the ceiling, again to the roof, but no ladder.
All the glass had been put through which was a shame, the windows are quite cool.

The last building, is basically a shed, although it has an air vent in the top of it, so weather it was a store, or some form of workshop, i don’t know. I can’t seem to find any old maps or photos of this place.

There’s now an industrial estate behind here, and there are a couple of hangers left, but are all used to store Fleet cars, so no chance of getting access, i asked
smile.gif
. However my dad has just started working there... see if he can pull a few strings before they renovate, which they are due too.

Anyways... The Photos
First Building, The -Flight- Navigation
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x548 and weights 394KB.
IMG_5115.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x611 and weights 316KB.
IMG_5114.jpg

Its pretty wrecked in here, roof all caved in and parts of the wall falling down. Not much eveidence of what once was there.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 418KB.
IMG_5116.jpg

Old wooden shutter door, cabled up.
IMG_5131.jpg

The lights for the place, i dunno what FL and HOR means, i guess FL for Flood Lights.
IMG_5120.jpg

There are a few cabinates, and benches about, all empty tho.
IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

And this is what makes me think it was once a workshop or stores of some form. A pigeon hole setup, but with all the Nut and Bolt sizes marker penned on the front.
IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

And the only real remains of human contact since the 50's when it closed.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x545 and weights 369KB.
IMG_5126.jpg

Thats the first Building, next the Main Tower and Barn type place.
Control Tower
I love the windows of this place, i dunno why.
IMG_5142.jpg

In from the entrance door/hole and you have a selection of rooms, all gutted again. The room dead ahead had a cabinate in, the only other interesting parts where the door signs.
IMG_5143.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x550 and weights 399KB.
IMG_5144.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 700x551 and weights 321KB.
IMG_5146.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 407KB.
IMG_5148.jpg

Just to the right of the entrance is a stair well, concrete, leading up to the observation deck.
IMG_5149.jpg

Only two rooms up here, but back in the day it would have looked awesome.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 324KB.
IMG_5153.jpg

The Main Room
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 346KB.
IMG_5154.jpg

back to the stairs, and the hatch to the roof
IMG_5156.jpg

More Windows
IMG_5159.jpg

Then on one side a door leading out onto a platform, with a staircase leading to the roof, oh and an exhaust sticking out the wall. Nothing on the other end tho.
IMG_5163.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 304KB.
IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

Thats all there is there, all the buildings were gutted nothing inside, apart from the first one, odd shelf etc.
Then theres a barn type place a little further down, it had a roof vent so guess it was a store room, or something.
IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

An Exide box on the floor, couldnt get it open.
IMG_5175.jpg

And a final overview of the site.
The Three buildings, the hanger is somewhere over the very back over a 10ft fence.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 429KB.
IMG_5194.jpg

And the wonderful tower.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 272KB.
IMG_5180e.jpg

continued....
Heading back to my car i spotted a concrete block sticking out, and it actually turned out to be.....
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 621KB.
IMG_5112.jpg

A Pillbox! lol
Couldnt belive it, i did hear there was once stuck in a hedge somewhere, i didnt exspect to park right next to it lol! I love this stuff! Its trashed and bricked in with rubbish etc stuffed inside, but you could imagine a few guys manned with Mg's poking out, staring down the road. Cool stuff.
IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 640KB.
IMG_5101.jpg

Thanks for looking

Most reactions

New Topics

Back