My boss is learning a lesson in licensing today.

Fun read. I made almost ten grand last year going after people for using my images... What did it cost me? Nothing more than doing a screen capture and passing it on to my IP lawyer who works on contingency. Right now we are going after a pretty big website who used 97 of my images for about three years.

I use a program called TinEye Reverse Image Search to do a reverse image search.

97? Damn!

Yeah we tried to deal with them without going to court and the company in question hired a third party to represent them. Now we're filling a federal complaint so they will have one more chance to make an offer and compromise before it goes before a judge. If they fail to make a suitable offer the judge will for sure take that into consideration when briefing the jury. On most of the cases that go federal they award close to 20K per image... Can't wait to see how it turns out. 20K x 97 images plus interest for the three years of usage could be pretty nice.

Apperently there are lot of amateurs doing web design and having no idea of copyright laws. It's a shame.

I highly doubt your company can be held liable in court. You weren't make money off the image and didn't even place it up in the first place. I just got a trademark infringement thing for one of my websites and you know what I did? Nadda eventually it went to arbitration and they took control of the site, but who cares I've got a clone site up already and they can keep doing that and spending thousands on lawyers. The internet is an uncontrollable beast, wasting time and money trying to police it is stupid and worthless.
And how would you feel if someone took your car and rented it or sold it without your permission and knowlege? And did the same with your house? And then stole your SS# and spent thousands of dollars that you had to re-pay?

Apperently there are lot of amateurs doing web design and having no idea of copyright laws. It's a shame.
The guy in the story I mentioned was no amateur.

He likely defaulted because his attorney told him honestly that he had zero chane to win or even mitigate the damage award and fighting a losing battle would just cost him even more money.

US Copyright law is federal law, so federal court is the only place copyright actions are heard.

The guy in the story I mentioned was no amateur.

He likely defaulted because his attorney told him honestly that he had zero chane to win or even mitigate the damage award and fighting a losing battle would just cost him even more money.

US Copyright law is federal law, so federal court is the only place copyright actions are heard.

Yep and federal judges get mighty pissed at companies who take advantage of photographers and don't settle out of court with an offer and compromise when caught... Can't wait for my day in court, all my images were filed with the copyright office and had my copyright right on the image and were still stolen.

It happens all of the time. I think a lot of the web designers just play stupid .... Knowing what they are doing and figure it's worth the risk. I know several designers that do it over and over.
Stealing is stealing even if it's an image on the net.....
I also know a designer who finds out who's images they are and calls and asks permission. You would be shocked how many people are flattered and give permission for free. It doesn't hurt to ask......

Fun read. I made almost ten grand last year going after people for using my images... What did it cost me? Nothing more than doing a screen capture and passing it on to my IP lawyer who works on contingency. Right now we are going after a pretty big website who used 97 of my images for about three years.

I use a program called TinEye Reverse Image Search to do a reverse image search.

Hehe, It can't even find my avatar:

0 results - TinEye

Nor the doggy I uploaded two or three days ago:

0 results - TinEye

:p

Most reactions

Back