My boss wants me to photograph all our stock and put onto his website Help!

TheBlueSparrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

So I've been working at this job for awhile and my boss today asked me if i could photograph all the stock in our store and put it into his online catalogue..

Only problem is ....

I don't know how to take product pictures... Atleast not ones that are commercial enough..

Can anyone please help me with this ?

Below is an image I have taken from his online store that was taken by a profesisonal awhile ago.. I really need to know how to duplicate this image setup

http://i.imgur.com/kTkhcsQ.png?1

I have been given my bosses permission to use this image here.
When you can establish that your boss, and not the professional photographer, is the copyright owner of the image you can replace the deleted IMG tags.

Anyone :(?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, so a web designer / server admin works for a small clothing store that is too cheap to hire a professional photographer? Funny... I am a Systems Admin (and I can design webs too), and no boss I ever had would ask me to do something like that? Something sounds off here....

Excerpt from Your intro post:
I'm a socially awkward 22 y/o web designer / server admin that is completely and utterly bored with his job.
Reece Vey-Johnson
AKA, The Blue Sparrow...

Last edited:
How do i explain -.-

this isn't a chain store... it is 1 family owned store that has been around for 35 years... they deal in big mens clothing The Boss wants everything to be perfect but isnt very sparring with his money .

I run/manage their website from a laptop on the counter instore. this isnt a inner city setup where everything is shiny and cost tons ... its a small business with a boss that wants to present as a big business online -.-

I need help recreating the image on my own. Not to be questioned because of my Bio..

If you cannot leave any constructive critisism on my thread please dont leave any at all

We see a lot of scammers... and your story sounded suspiciously like many of the scammers. So yes, I asked! Sorry about that!

Have to ask! .. is the laptop the server you refer too?

Well i can assure u im no scammers.. im a guy.. who is scared i will loose my job if i cannot give the boss what he wants... and i dont know how to produce something that will give him what he wants... so im sorry if i was a little blunt .. but u really do need some help... with the image technique

Edited - ninjad while typing post lol

Well i can assure u im no scammers.. im a guy.. who is scared i will loose my job if i cannot give the boss what he wants... and i dont know how to produce something that will give him what he wants... so im sorry if i was a little blunt .. but u really do need some help... with the image technique

A boss that would fire you for something like that (that probably is not even in your job description) is probably not worth working for. I will leave you alone... possibly someone else here will offer some assistance. Plus there are dozens of threads asking the same question you are asking, the search engine will find them for you! Good luck!

I don't see what the issue is. I am an IT consultant (a real one, not one that labels himself that). We are a big company that is part of a larger company. IT is my profession, job, career and life... but I am also the web admin, photographer (infant photographer) and graphic designer. I am also in charge of our entire 2013 marketing campaign including all designs, strategies and publishing work.

At the end of the day it is about going above and beyond the call of duty. My boss never asks me, I just volunteer. What's the OP's career and immediate job description have to do with him doing this work outside of IT for his company?

OP - wish I could help you on the problem at hand.

Funny.. I have owned a successful consulting business... and none of my clients would have ever asked something like that while I was wearing my IT hat.. especially at the hourly rate I charged! (if you are saying that I "label" myself that way.. you are welcome to search for my Linked In bio... it is accurate, although not totally up to date, and not that hard to find!)

I have done some photography for my company, and they paid me even more than I make salary for that... but that was because they were tired of the "PRO's" around here, that can't deliver!

I don't see what the issue is. I am an IT consultant (a real one, not one that labels himself that). We are a big company that is part of a larger company. IT is my profession, job, career and life... but I am also the web admin, photographer (infant photographer) and graphic designer. I am also in charge of our entire 2013 marketing campaign including all designs, strategies and publishing work.

At the end of the day it is about going above and beyond the call of duty. My boss never asks me, I just volunteer. What's the OP's career and immediate job description have to do with him doing this work outside of IT for his company?

Funny.. I have owned a successful consulting business... and none of my clients would have ever asked something like that while I was wearing my IT hat.. especially at the hourly rate I charged! (if you are saying that I "label" myself that way.. you are welcome to search for my Linked In bio... it is accurate, although not totally up to date, and not that hard to find!)

I have done some photography for my company, and they paid me even more than I make salary for that... but that was because they were tired of the "PRO's" around here, that can't deliver!

Sorry Charlie (pun intended lol), but there's some misunderstanding here. I edited my post that I typed on my phone (slowly) while getting the angry eyes from my GF at dinner. During that time the rest of the replies were posted and then I saw why you brought the question up. That's when I went back and edited my post with the ninja reference.

And to clear the edited post up... I actually wasn't insinuating you nor the OP were labeling yourself a consultant. I actually never got that from your response that you were ever in a consulting role. I actually took your old position at face value as an in-house system admin. I was talking about the millions of geek squad worthy "IT professionals" that think they can reboot their way out of a crashed exchange server, have their own "business" and label themselves a consultant while they take care of home offices and 5-10 user networks. My clients never ask me to do anything beyond what I'm there to do. My real boss within my company is who I do those things for. Those above and beyond responsibilities do not go on a client invoice.

The whole point of my post is I'm a 10 year vet with much higher responsibilities than the OP, and I still do these things for my company.. so I was just questioning the problem with it is all.

Sorry Charlie (pun intended lol), but there's some misunderstanding here. I edited my post that I typed on my phone (slowly) while getting the angry eyes from my GF at dinner. During that time the rest of the replies were posted and then I saw why you brought the question up. That's when I went back and edited my post with the ninja reference.

And to clear the edited post up... I actually wasn't insinuating you nor the OP were labeling yourself a consultant. I actually never got that from your response. I was talking about the millions of geek squad worthy "IT professionals" that think they can reboot their way out of a crashed exchange server, have their own "business" and label themselves a consultant while they take care of home offices and 5-10 user networks. My clients never ask me to do anything beyond what I'm there to do. My real boss within my company is who I do those things for. Those above and beyond responsibilities do not go on a client invoice.

Gotcha! No problem! lol! I have dealt with a lot of those kind of "IT professionals" too... just as I have dealt with the "Photo Pro's" of the same type! lol! (I do understand going all out, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done for a good employer, though!)

Im a tad confused,

I'm not saying I think my boss is out of line for aking me to do the images... simply .. i just need help on how to produce them like the image shown. its that simple .. once i know .. i can get on with the job :) But at charlie suggested i will go search other posts here and see if i can find someone asking/solving this problemo :)

There is too much to learn on your end for a quick answer....the shirt you posted was styled and not just taken off the rack and photographed not ot mention the lighting involved. You will be hard pressed to get anyone to respond.

I'm not opposed to learning all that is requried, I just need a teacher.

Google is good ... but its not as helpful for this as people may think

CNPDrxF.jpg

That is one of the shirts i attempted ...

Obviously i didnt press the shirt.. as i was just sampling ..

I took this on the floor while i was above on a ladder

It was on a white sheet which i removed roughly with photoshop.

Its very unattractive :(

Most reactions

Back