My camera makes people nervous

Well, not in order to give you any advice here, M_cow, but to share some experience I have made, let me tell you that I found it is more the people in the country (here) that shy away from anything being photographed, whether it be themselves OR only just their farms (some farms in the way the buildings are arranged, or details of farm houses make some wonderful subjects, mind) than people in the cities....

Well see, there is a difference in culture, and it's hard to explain it in short.

In many parts of Asia(eastern especially), people don't understand the "romance" of being artistic, meaning that everything you do is for a rational reason. There is no such thing as, "I paint because I want to", and therefore, people refuse to understand when I explain that I am just taking pics of their stores etc as a hobby, or simply, for my own pleasure. They see it as I am taking something from them and because they can't rationalize this abstract part, they become nervous, insecure and defensive.

Well, under situations where I can use my 300mm from a distance, I do. However when I enter a sheltered market place, I have to rely on my 50mm F1.2, and there is no way to hide it!

I don't really like to take photos hiding somewhere, because that's not my intention to "steal". I want to be able to position the camera and click the trigger openly to show that there is something special that I want to capture. Of course, I would like them to think the same about themselves too.

I don't have such problem in the US unless I am taking a photo inside a store. Otherwise people are generally ok with me being a person who's got nothing better to do with his camera.

Although some of it may be a cultural problem, a lot of it might be the SLR w/ a 50mm f/1.2.

I think you've got options. Keep using the same gear and try to talk to people and make them comfortable around you. But this means you disrupt the scene, and you to try to reverse a cultural mistrust of camera very quickly.

The options that I would take is get yourself a small rangefinder, tape it all black if it isn't already. And basically work on being invisible. Move and take photos in a way that you aren't noticed. Blend into the scene.

I'm assuming you look South-east Asian here. Grab a bunch of friends and you can all pretend to be from mainland China or Hong Kong.
If that doesn't work, pretend you're photographing them while focusing on someone else.

I can understand to a point that it is a cultural thing, but photojournalists photograph all over Asia and Southeast Asia all the time. I think your approach might be making people worried, when you say you are taking them for yourself, or for your own "pleasure". If you approach them as a professional, I think they'll be more inclined to allow you to photograph them. Not comfortable in that role? Tell them you are a student then, and you are photographing interesting people for class.

A tip I heard somewhere, possibly here on TPF, and it works...

Try a camera with a waist-level viewfinder. Most people associate taking photographs with holding a camera up to your eye to look through the viewfinder. If you have a TLR (many very good and inexpensive cameras on the market, especially used) around your neck, and you act like you're fiddling with it, most people won't give you a second thought--much less think that you're actually taking photographs. This also applies to any camera to which you can attach a waist-level viewfinder... I have both an Argoflex TLR and a Mamiya 645 which I use this way. Both are quite a bit of fun to use, and I'm quite partial to the larger negatives.

If you shoot digital... there are some cameras with real-time view screens, many of which can be tilted so you can view them while holding them low. I'm not sure how well this might work, since I use strictly film myself.

BTW, when testing a new camera, i entered a small residential area in Düsseldorf, taking pictures of garbage bins ... and the locals walked up to me asking what I was doing.

not a dagerous situation, but they tried to figure out WHY I was taking photos there, but just couldn't ... their world was just too limited ;)

I've been to many parts of the world with my camera and have had little problem with taking photos of people at work or randomly, in public places of course. However, I still can't find a way to make people in my country(Taiwan) feel comfortable with me taking photos of them. There are many interesting and unique culture and lifestyles here which I really want to capture, but people tend to get nervous with photographers taking photos. They are mostly paranoid of potential journalists trying to dig some scandal news or under cover inspectors from the government(many of them being stall owners). So how do you deal with it?

I'm sure if I look like a tourist they won't be so suspicious, but the problem is, I simply don't look like a tourist!

Hey molested_cow

I am in Taiwan right now, but I look like a tourist, and I confirm you that I have no pb to take picture here.

I have quite big an dvery visible lense ( 28-300 mm Canon) but no pb.

But I agree it is more difficult to take picture in its home place, that s what happen to me in France also.

But now I don't try to be discret I m here shooting in the street, what I do it is that I take stupid picture about everything , people see me , and sometimes they change their direction to don't be in my picture , that s fine... and when somebody see that I have taken picture of him event from far , I give him a sign and smile. In 99,9% it is enough sometimes a few ask me why I take picture, I start talking when possible and when they want I delete in front of them , no pb, but since 1 year it only happend 2 times...

My only advise could be, don't be too discret & when people escape from your picture, wait for next, just to let them understand that you do not try to catch their intimity or private life, but sure you will waste some shot

Bye
Did you see in 101 tower grounf floor the Photography exposition?

Mat

A tip I heard somewhere, possibly here on TPF, and it works...

Try a camera with a waist-level viewfinder.

That is a good point, and applies to P&S cameras with swivel LCDs as well.

A proper, optical waist-level finder is probably better, because 99% of people don't know what it is you're fiddling with. People will still recognize (after a few seconds) a digital camera with a swivel LCD as a digital camera.

Another technique is to hold the camera like a pack of playing cards, zoom set to wide angle and depress the shutter release with your pinky. That's one of my favorite tricks; I read it in PopPhoto a while back.

Hey molested_cow

I am in Taiwan right now, but I look like a tourist, and I confirm you that I have no pb to take picture here.

I have quite big an dvery visible lense ( 28-300 mm Canon) but no pb.

But I agree it is more difficult to take picture in its home place, that s what happen to me in France also.

But now I don't try to be discret I m here shooting in the street, what I do it is that I take stupid picture about everything , people see me , and sometimes they change their direction to don't be in my picture , that s fine... and when somebody see that I have taken picture of him event from far , I give him a sign and smile. In 99,9% it is enough sometimes a few ask me why I take picture, I start talking when possible and when they want I delete in front of them , no pb, but since 1 year it only happend 2 times...

My only advise could be, don't be too discret & when people escape from your picture, wait for next, just to let them understand that you do not try to catch their intimity or private life, but sure you will waste some shot

Bye
Did you see in 101 tower grounf floor the Photography exposition?

Mat

Being a causian(who I assume you to be) definitely definitely helps in such situation in taiwan. People assume that things in Taiwan are fresh to you and therefore they don't find anything wrong when you take photos. However for me, they simply don't see a reason why I would appreciate scenes in a traditional market etc.

I am not in Taiwan now and probably won't be back for some time. This is also why I really want to capture the scenes which I don't get to see everyday.

As for using alternative equipment... perhaps, but that will become something else that I need to invest in, time, money and effort to understand it. I can't really afford that now.

Oh, and I was at the Taipei 101 area during new years but I never had the desire to go in. I hate the architecture and the architect... personal opinions.

The following photo really got the lady nervous...

tainan09.jpg

I would suggest avoid eye contact. At least that's what I do. You point a camera to a general direction, people know you are taking pictures, but sometimes they don't know you are taking pictures of them. And even if they start to act unnatural, just wait, they will most likely go back to whatever they were doing at the first place and give no further attention to you. Also, don't look at the subject after the photo is taken. Looking at the subject afterwards would just confirm the idea that you are shooting them.

I've read an article about street photography; it's called Confessions of a Street Walker by Martin Elkort. It can be read here. It talked about many interesting aspects on street photography and I think it will be helpful to this thread.

well what i usually do is just be completely spontaneous. i don't ask if i could take their photo, i just do it as quickly and as quietly as i can. then i out of there.

I've read an article about street photography; it's called Confessions of a Street Walker by Martin Elkort. It can be read here. It talked about many interesting aspects on street photography and I think it will be helpful to this thread.
Fantastic article. Thanks for the link. I almost didn't make it to the meat, as the intro was kind of boring. If you want to skip right to the heart of the article, start where it says 'The Challenge'.

This reminds me, I checked out the Rolleiflex MiniDigi last Sunday. It is a cute little camera, and maybe the perfect modern equivalent to the TLRs of old.

-Jeremy

A TLR is great (I've got a Yashika 124 that I love). Pre-focus and shoot. Or pointing it to the left or right and keep looking up straight ahead like you are trying to shoot something in front of you. Barring that, get really fast. By fast i mean focusing/composing on the quick and then smile a lot and keep walking like you are on a mission.

Then too, you could just tell them that you are a free lancer with the department of tourism. ;)

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back