My Christmas light thread. Strong C&C please.

EIngerson

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Exposures on the lights looks pretty good. Composition is probably as good as it is going to get on these kinds of shots.

Some closeups of certain aspects of some of the shots would be cool.. the manger scene for instance.

#3 with the people silouhettes is COOL.. don't see that to often, very nice

#2 would hve been better if you had hit the snowpersons in front with some fill flash.. to bring them up to the same level of light as the rest of the shot.

Well done!

The lights seem reasonably well exposed, but as a result, everything else is underexposed. For me, these would have been much much better using HDR. There is too little detail in the shadows.

Thanks cgipson. I never even thought of hitting the snowmen with a bit of flash.

D-B-J, I did try a couple HDR brackets, but I need to educate my self on the processing side before I bother posting any of those. Thanks though, that'll provoke me to work at it a little harder.

Eric

I really liked these images.... some shortcomings are there which mostly circumstantial....
The first image has a heavy strip of darkness at the bottom left, probably because you had no better option to place yourself...
As already pointed out there must have been some light on those snow(cotton?) men...
Third is very lovely; yet second's delay that you missed the lady with the perambulator before she had entered into shadow
Fourth: this is the best composition for me

Regards :D

Thanks Frequency. That's exactly the reason for number one. I couldn't frame that house from any other position. So....a dark, dead section of unlit road. LOL.

Something to consider...

Christmas lights present good technical challenges, but they generally do not make "good photographs" in the pure artistic sense of the term. For one, Christmas light displays are often fun and pretty, but by their very nature are pretty hideously tacky. Two, they rarely are artistic in their own rite. Three, you're taking a picture of someone else's "art" (using the term loosely), so you have all the typical challenges associated with re-interpreting someone else's art form in your chosen media. (and those challenges are extensive)

That said, I think you've got something trying to capture the people crossing in front on #3... it's more than just another shot of Christmas lights, and that's definitely what you want to strive for.

From a purely technical perspective (and there is value in that because it is challenging to do right), I think you are a little underexposed and I think you have some color balance issues. Not bad, though... just needs a bit more work. If you search for my name and "night photography" on this forum, you will find a couple threads where I give some very extensive advice on night photography. I think reading those would serve you well.

Keep at it.

Manaheim, I'll definitely seek out your night photography threads. Thanks for your thoughts. You nailed one of my weak points too, color balance. It's a work in progress with me. LOL. I think most of time it's a haste makes waste thing for me. I get so enthralled with getting the shutter actuated, I overlook important aspects of photography. I am working on it though. I'm at the point now where I think a couple formal classes would help tie together all the self taught, google search knowledge. Thanks again for your insight. It all helps.

Manaheim, I'll definitely seek out your night photography threads. Thanks for your thoughts. You nailed one of my weak points too, color balance. It's a work in progress with me. LOL. I think most of time it's a haste makes waste thing for me. I get so enthralled with getting the shutter actuated, I overlook important aspects of photography. I am working on it though. I'm at the point now where I think a couple formal classes would help tie together all the self taught, google search knowledge. Thanks again for your insight. It all helps.

Classes are never a bad thing, just make sure not to get some stupid class where they teach you program mode or "digital photography". You really want a class where they focus on the mechanical elements of the camera and then, really, you want a class in composition basics or art. Just keep in mind... there are mechanical elements to art, but the real art comes from inside you. It just helps to understand the "rules" to give you a bit of a leg up in understanding how people respond to certain choices we make. None of that probably makes any sense.

Hi Eingerson, once you find Manaheim's thread please copy and paste its link here ;)

Regards :D

I decided to seek it out msyelf out of curiosity. The one I was thinking of was actually one of the first ones that came up, but there are several. This is the best "overview" one I believe.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...um-photo-gallery/254182-denver-night-c-c.html

Maneheim, Thanks for the link. Some great information in there. I can't wait to apply some of that. A couple things I notice I did wrong, one of which was shooting wide open. I always appreciate more tools to use. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Eric

My pleasure. :)

Most reactions

Back