My concerns here !

Pirate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
You know I have been a member here for awhile, I don't normally post but instead read the different forums and just try to learn. For the most part I have always enjoyed reading this forum but have always had a real problem with what folks here choose to divulge re: themselves, their lifestyle and so on. Well recently we had a tragic event in our family that I feel relates directly to what one of my family members had posted on a too familiar web site that shares information. I guess it's a meet and greet type of site and appears innocent enough, but I've always adviced my family to stay away from to much info on the net. For quite some time I have been reading this site as I stated and I know way too much about some of you. It concerns me that there are folks on here that let all of us know where they live, where they go to school, where they work, where they travel. And I've even seen people post personal information about family members who are hospitalized, in some sort of need, are having some event, or any number of personal information stories. My family member of whom I speak will never get over what has happened, the tragedy is done and now as a family we have to pick up what pieces we can and try to move on. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, my intent is to simply have some of you look at what you put out there about yourself and family and friends. Stop with the "too much info approach" to gaining friendship here. You only know what folks want you to know, we don't really know who they are, or what their intentions are. Although I sometimes enjoy reading your post. I realize that we are not friends, we are merely people that share some common interest. Please do what you can to protect yourself and your family.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear your family has had a rough situation to deal with. I hope for the best for them.

The reason I decided to post in this thread is that I believe you bring up a very valid point. I believe that, based solely upon information people have shared about themselves on here, there are many members that could be tracked down in the real world with a very minimal amount of effort. This is something I think people often don't consider when they make some of their posts.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make friends here, or that you should stop talking about anything personal in nature, but I really do think that people should think more about the things they post and make sure it is in their best interest before sharing certain kinds of information.

I'm sure most of you wouldn't walk up to a stranger on the street and share some of the personal stuff that you do here, so it is important to consider that by posting publicly here, you are essentially doing the same thing. I'm sure many of you have friends that you have made through this site, but just keep in mind that what you share with them in public, you are sharing with anyone who just happens to wander into TPF as well.

Bottom line is just please keep some of that in mind when posting here and keep yourselves "safe".

-Chase

I have posted some close to home information about my self including an accurate location, picture of a familiar landmark and it's proximity to my home, some of my hobbies, what I do for a living and a few other things. I understand the risk I put my self at on the internet, truth is I whole heartedly believe it's not if, but when will something happen to me. As long as it does not happen to the children I serve then so be it, I have nothing to steal, no money, no credit, so the only thing available at this time is my life, If some one wants that they know where to find me.

Pretty much all of my info (except for my physical address) is on my photography site, as contact information, and a bio. On a page like that, you really have to put that out there, so people can contact you and know a bit about you before they support your work. Even if I never said a single thing about me here, as well as most other people in the country, it's not hard to track people down through the inevitable internet paper trail...

I have met some wonderful people, and this has turned into real world friendships. I am willing to take the risk of giving a bit to much info for the happiness I have received from my friends here.

I am going to reiterate what Joe said and add a bit.

Yes, this is good advice to heed, and there are some that truly seem to not realize what they are doing....however, I think many of us post with the knowledge that we are taking a risk.

And there are a great deal of people on this site who are indeed my real friends.

Most reactions

Back