My Cousin and the dying dog..

paulvgmip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
14527910721_594fdea014_c.jpg

I was at a party at my grandparents, when they broke the news to my little cousins that Tick ( my grandparents dog) was going to be put down in the next couple of days. My little cousin Juliana wanted a picture with Tick after she heard the news.. :meh: The highlights in the back are blown to hell, I accidentally cut the dogs feet, I should of composed better and the dog looks uncomfortable as hell (I should of focused more on taking the picture, than my cake lol). But my little cousin loved it, and now we have a memory of the two and sometimes thats all that matters! :D

Last edited:
poor little puppy.

My grandmother rescued the dog from the pound, and gave that dog the best 4 years of its life. It has recently got cancer and has spread more and more. It has became more in pain, so it seems it is the right time to put her down. :neutral:

Last edited:
Multiple thoughts:

1. Photos like this are one of the great services we can provide. For instance, Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS) is a group of volunteers who shoot portraits of infants that are not likely to live--to provide the parents a record and a memory and an outlet. I don't have the guts and strength to do this work--kudos to any of you out there who do. I've known two other photographers who shoot portraits of dying pets. Again, they're better people than I am.

2. I once heard it said that "you'll know when it's time" when it comes to euthanizing your pet dog. Actually, you won't. Dogs are incredibly stoic creatures, enduring much pain in order to try and do their job or be with us or respond to our wishes. Making that decision (and deciding when) is never easy. I've had to do it a couple of times, have a dog right now who's 10, started having "bad days" about a year ago and now has "bad weeks".....I'm not looking forward to what I know is coming.

3. It's a lovely photo. For work like this, what's important is that the client is happy with it. You caught them at their best (or near best). Juliana looks radiant and even Tick seems to have a hint of a smile with a demeanor that says "let me down so I can go chase some fricking squirrels."

Aww so sad. But great that you got this picture that she'll have. I have a bunch of my son when he was little with his cat. When we had to get that cat put down, I made them into a book for him. He still has it and it was over 10 years ago.

Awww, poor little girl and puppy. They look so precious together. When my dog got cancer and ended up in a lot of pain, my vet suggested we try her on a high dose of Prednisone. Within 24 hours she was like a puppy again and clearly not in pain! It was like a miracle drug for my baby and seemed to help until she finally passed in her sleep. Just a suggestion if they are looking for options. Nothing wrong with deciding to put the dog out of her misery though--- I just know what a heartbreaking decision it can be.

They actually are giving her prednisone, she also has cancer. However the prednisone made her very sick. :/

:( Awww, so sorry! Losing a pet is so tough!

Most reactions

Back