My current gear. Looking to upgrade. Needs ideas.

TordFuglstad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started photography with a D-SLR when i was 14 years old, and I've had the same camera since i bought my first one, Nikon D40.
The camera it self is still good, but after 5 years of a beginners camera I'm now looking to upgrade.
My current gear is:
Nikon D40 w/ battery grip (2000 mAh instead of 1000 mAh)
Nikon 18-55 kit lens
Nikon SB-400 flash
Sigma 70-300 tele-zoom/macro MF
Nikkor 35 F1.8
Some hama bag which my gear wont fit into, too small.
A crappy old tripod w/o head

This is what i want to get
Nikon D7000 body
Nikon MB-D11 grip
Nikkor or Sigma 18-200 VR (Need recommendations on which to get, value is important.)
Samyang AE 85 F1.4
Nikon ME-1 Mic (for video with the D7000)
Slik 700DX Pro tripod legs
Velbon PH-157Q 3-Way pan/tilt head
And a good sized, very good value bag (Need to save money where i can.)

Thanks for all ideas and recommendations!

My photos at flickr: Flickr: TordFuglstad's Photostream

The problem with recommending anything is that we don't have that much idea of what you want to do or what you're having issues with with the D40. That said, I can get an idea based on what I saw brwosing your flickr. The first thing I'd say is hold on the battery grip. The D7000's battery lasts ages - it's gotten me through a whole day of shooting sports while powering a 70-200 and still had half power at the end. And it's quite comfortable to hold. My little (and ring unless I'm careful) fingers hang off the bottom when I'm shooting (I can palm a full size basketball without exerting much pressure), and i haven't found it causing problems. The cash you save could get you most of the way to a 17-50 f2.8. I hear good things about all of them, I have the Tamron version and love it.

Can't comment on the tripod legs/head (I use a gorillapod with the ballhead) or the mic, as I don't do video.

So I'd say:

D7000 body
Tamron/Sigma/Tokina 17-50
Samyang 85
Don't bother with the 18-200 unless you really don't like changing lenses, and spend the cash on a nicer 70-300, some faster primes (50 1.8 is nice, 60mm macro could be too) or even save a little extra and get an 80-200.
No idea on the rest.

Can't say much about the nikon gear but I do have the pro 700dx tripod (with manfrotto head) and think it is fantastic. Not small by any means- or light, but is solid and can get really low and is quick to set up. My father was a photographer quite a long time ago and he had all kinds of tripods- a couple old big and heavy bogens and he was trying to steal mine. Finally I bought him one for father's day and he likes it a lot. It does come 2 ways- with and without a head, I bough mine without and like I said I bought a manfrotto (804rc2 I believe) and I think that's the way to go. I like knowing that I can upgrade heads in the future.

You will love the D7000, but I would skip the grip and go for some good glass instead. You can find a value in the 28-105 but I would look at the 2.8 line for nikon or the just get a 50 1.8 and the 70-200 version one used will save you a bit of change too. It will be perfect for this camera. How do I know, I have one and bought the D7000 especially to use with it. I have a d700 that I put on the wide angle stuff but I have been very happy with the D7000 and the 70-200 and the extra reach and MP on the subject is wonderful. As to a bag, I would look at your local camera store and see if they have some used bags. I picked one up for 10 bucks to hold my speedlights.

The D7000 sound like a great upgrade. I have bags that i need to sell if you are interested...

I will sell you this for $100 + shipping...;)

My Bag

Only the bag, of course...

I also have 2 other smaller Tamrac Bags if you are interested... PM me if so and I will send you some pics!

Stay away from the 18-200mm VR, it's performance is not all that great. I'd buy a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 instead as your "everyday" lens. You can always use your 70-300mm when you need more reach.

Really appreciate all the adivice!! :) Just gonna look through all my options and read a lot of reviews before i make any final decision! ;)

The D7000 sound like a great upgrade. I have bags that i need to sell if you are interested...

I will sell you this for $100 + shipping...;)

My Bag

Only the bag, of course...

I also have 2 other smaller Tamrac Bags if you are interested... PM me if so and I will send you some pics!

Will definitely consider it! :)

"Needs ideas" is the clue.
This is what you need not more kit.

I would suggest a used Canon 1ds2

Why would you say that? It's outdated tech, and has virtually nothing to offer over the D7000.

I have not used either but I would say being full frame and having pro-level body with better weather sealing is far from "virtually nothing", and it really is only 1 generation old... well at least until they announce the mkIV. A lot of (not all of) the "newer technology" that I see in new bodies especially pro-sumer is not much of an advantage. To each his own, but I would take a 1ds2 long before a d7000. A d700 might be a closer call, though I am not a Nikon guy. btw, what does a d7000 compare to by canon.. a 60d? maybe a 7d?

I would suggest a used Canon 1ds2

Why would you say that? It's outdated tech, and has virtually nothing to offer over the D7000.

I have not used either but I would say being full frame and having pro-level body with better weather sealing is far from "virtually nothing", and it really is only 1 generation old... well at least until they announce the mkIV. A lot of (not all of) the "newer technology" that I see in new bodies especially pro-sumer is not much of an advantage. To each his own, but I would take a 1ds2 long before a d7000. A d700 might be a closer call, though I am not a Nikon guy. btw, what does a d7000 compare to by canon.. a 60d? maybe a 7d?

The weather sealing in D7000 are as good if not better than the 1ds2.. And why should i change to canon when i have nikon gear? So stupid.. The 1ds2 can't even be compared to D7000..
And why buy a used camera? Already a lot of exposures? no thank you..

A little comparison:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II-vs-Nikon_D7000

Last edited:
Stay away from the 18-200mm VR, it's performance is not all that great. I'd buy a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 instead as your "everyday" lens. You can always use your 70-300mm when you need more reach.

Just make sure you test the lens well, I sold my Sigma 24-70 because my Nikon 18-200 was sharper.
I think I just had a bad one, but it has made me biased against Sigma Lenses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back