My Daughter

Seadawg

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My neighbor made this Easter dress and asked me to take some photos of my daughter modeling the dress for her Facebook page. C&C are always ok, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• $Kaylee Ann cropped.jpg
    $Kaylee Ann cropped.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 105
  • $Kaylee Ann.jpg
    $Kaylee Ann.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I would crop it differently, and it really needs WB correction and just some overall minute post to enhance the image.

i did this VERY quickly in pixlr (im still not happy with the colors, but I'm limited with the tools in this app):

$Kaylee Ann.jpg

I would crop it differently, and it really needs WB correction and just some overall minute post to enhance the image.

i did this VERY quickly in pixlr (im still not happy with the colors, but I'm limited with the tools in this app):

View attachment 70552

Thank you for the quick edit and tips, I am still fairly new to PS and I used the tree as my neutral color to set the white balance. I like what you did to it though, it gave her a little more color. Thanks again..

Can't really comment on the colour on this monitor, but brain's edit does look better. Two things come to mind: (1) Watch your backgrounds; there's a tree growing out of the poor girl's head, and (2) get the flash OFF the camera and bring it in from the side (oh yeah, and watch the composition; the little bit of missing sandal is visually, rather annoying).

Thank you for the quick edit and tips, I am still fairly new to PS and I used the tree as my neutral color to set the white balance. I like what you did to it though, it gave her a little more color. Thanks again..

I just look at the skin and ask myself: does this person look like a zombie? and go from there.

I just look at the skin and ask myself: does this person look like a zombie? and go from there.

Yes, I think skin tone rendering is the single biggest thing to worry about. Not neutrals, not whites, not shadows...if the person in a shot like this has weird skin tone, or looks ever-so-slightly blue-tinged or green tinged (the two most common issues), then the color is "off" subjectively, and it needs to be adjusted. The skin tones and dress colors in Braineack's edit look pretty acceptable.

I wanted to reduce the reds a bit and boost the orange/yellow, and desaturate the purple a touch, but i couldn't figure out how in pixlr.

Don't clip toes. (I added some)
Watch for excess coloration from trees overhead.
Deep shade is too low contrast and subject to color cast.
Take one when she is fake smiling and then get her to actually laugh.
Get rid of excess space

z1hw.jpg

Thank you all for the help and critiques. I am still playing around with portraits and learning as I go. I will take all info given and try to apply the next time I take some photos of my daughter.

Also, since she is modeling the new dress, some modeling action might be in order.

Yes, I realize that getting a four-year-old to pose at all is difficult, but man, if she was holding the skirt out like the grown-up models do, wouldn't that be nice?

That might even help with her expression.

Try it.

ps: Don't chop off her shoes next time. Camera position could be even a few inches lower than this shot and would still be fine.

Also, since she is modeling the new dress, some modeling action might be in order.

Yes, I realize that getting a four-year-old to pose at all is difficult, but man, if she was holding the skirt out like the grown-up models do, wouldn't that be nice?

That might even help with her expression.

Try it.

ps: Don't chop off her shoes next time. Camera position could be even a few inches lower than this shot and would still be fine.

LOL I know nothing about modeling actions.. But as you said she is 4 and she is my only daughter so I don't know how much I want to look grown up. I do understand what you are saying though and I will try some different stuff with her. Thanks for looking and commenting.

I find the tree and texture of it distracting. it looks better cropped down by I would be tempted to lose the tree all together and have the little girl hold some flowers or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back