My Dave Hill Impression

ChevyBaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cakeshoppingandphotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Blake.Oney commented on one of my threads saying he really enjoys Dave Hill's work so i got looking and now i'm in love with the photos so i tried the effect out myself.

Ignore the fact that this picture is a bit crap coz it was just a test shoot and focus on the effect. (Just picked the first pic i came across)

Whad'ya think??

2wqseo6.jpg

The original source file is not the best type of lighting for the Dave Hill effect, which seems to look better when there is strong, hot side-lighting on the face and body of the subject. In your original photo, you have very low-contrast, somber lighting on his face, and therefore the "super-real" look of the facial features that the Dave Hill look produces just doesn't translate to a genuine Dave Hill look.

Yea. I used to do it to like all my photo's just to see if it turned out, and then I realized that it will never turn out until I start using strobes or speed lights on both sides of my subject. Then there's the matter of his backgrounds and scenes in general and how he does that. I believe Goonies may be right about them being composite images.

Yes, you really need a two pronged approach to get that look. One is the lighting and two is the processing.

Just an observation, not sure if you were too worried about other stuff then the dave hill look but i would clean up the few spots of acne on his face just to improve the overall look of the photo. It kept distracting me.

Just an observation, not sure if you were too worried about other stuff then the dave hill look but i would clean up the few spots of acne on his face just to improve the overall look of the photo. It kept distracting me.

LOL oh bless him! When i was editing my final shot for this piece i did clear them up and then my lecturer asked why and i said 'well it's a fashion shot and no one wants to see that do they?' which lead on to a lesson about Photoshop and why we clear up what we clear up... in the end i wished i never done it, but my model was happy with it lol

Most reactions

Back