My experiment for the day...

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...inspired by Stradawhovious' recent high-speed shots. I'm at work so I couldn't set up anything elaborate, but I just wanted to try more of a proof-of-concept type of test.

These were all shot at f/22 ISO200 on BULB with my D70, with the exposures in the 8-12 second range, in a dark room, and then I manually fired a hand-held SB600. I just opened the shutter, spun the coin on the table, and waited for the right moment to fire the flash.

1) This is a single exposure, and I just fired the flash three times:
DSC_0977.jpg

2) And this one is just a single shot from the flash:
DSC_0993.jpg

In the "things I'd do next time" category, first I'd remember to turn VR off on my lens, which hopefully would help sharpen the table up a bit. This weekend I might try to find something a little more interesting to experiment with at home, where I can set up something a little more elaborate as well.

C&C welcome.

EDIT: These are also pretty tightly cropped. My aim with coin-spinning isn't that good.

Pretty cool. That makes me wish I had an off camera flash. It'll be a while before I get there but definitely some fun stuff.

Very Cool! I can't wait for my camera to come back from the Doctor's office so I can do more of this kind of stuff.

BTW, I'm stealing your idea from number 1. ;)

:lol:

BTW, I'm stealing your idea from number 1. ;)

:lol: Be my guest. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. I would have stolen your mousetrap idea but if I brought a mousetrap within 50 feet of my house, I'd get a lecture from my wife about cruelty and such. So I'm still trying to come up with something worth using this technique on that does not get me in trouble with the Mrs. :p

I would have stolen your mousetrap idea but if I brought a mousetrap within 50 feet of my house, I'd get a lecture from my wife about cruelty and such. So I'm still trying to come up with something worth using this technique on that does not get me in trouble with the Mrs. :p

Meh. Bring home a mousetrap and give it a whirl.

I don't know your wife, but this argument has worked with some anti-gun folks that say "guns kill people"......

"I own dozens of guns, and I don't use them to kill people. Not one of them has killed a human being since I've owned them."

After all, if it's not being used to kill mice, its not really a mouse trap, is it?!?

"But honey, I'm not going to bait it, or set it out in the living room..... It's for PHOTOGRAPHY!" (and be sure to puff out your chest, cock your head to the side and put your fists on your hips like Superman when you say the word "PHOTOGRAPHY")

Or better yet.... this one.....

"I plan on hanging a print of the finished product in the local wayward childrens home. It's for the Children honey, won't you PUHLEEZE think of the Children?"

Trust me. Works every time. :lol:

Most reactions

Back