My favorite model to work with...

MBasile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewbasile.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Even though he is a bet smelly and stubborn.

i-n5ccnBR-XL.jpg

B1600 with a 20˚ (I think) grid towards his face, B800 with a 40˚ grid as the (not wonderfully executed) rim light.

I really like the lighting from the front shoulder forward showing all the character in it's face, from there back takes away from the shot because of the very dark hole in the middle of the dog. Crop is square from just behind the shoulder and it's a reall prize winner.

I wish there was more lighting on his back. The head is great, but the rest lacks some detail

I wish there was more lighting on his back. The head is great, but the rest lacks some detail

Yeah, I wanted to work on the rim light, but I'm still new to strobes and he isn't the most cooperative. I was about to add a background light too, but then one the the B800's died so I called it quits for the night.

And i would try and dewrinkle the backdrop. I just realized how wrinkly it was, which is kinda bothering me now.

And i would try and dewrinkle the backdrop. I just realized how wrinkly it was, which is kinda bothering me now.

Haha, I was hoping no one would notice. It was about 12:30 in the morning when I decided to get everything out and practice some lighting on him, so the wrinkles weren't really a priority. I've been trying to figure out what to do next as a backdrop, since I don't really like that one. I was debating some fake flooring, or making a section of wood flooring on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

No wonder he is your favorite model, this portrait came out great. It is amazing how animals can pose better then humans at times.
You should post some black and white photographs , they must look great.
I myslef like landscape photography with not people, pets or any other models then trees, mountains, ocean flowers and nature.

Fine Art Black White Landscape Photography Prints Photos Photographer Contemporary

I knew it would be a dog. Second guess would be a self-portrait or some kind of doll or toy. I agree that a continuous highlight along the back would be advantageous to add continuity to the image.

love his eyes, lighting is magnificent.

His eyes are usually my biggest challenge. They are very rich in person, but his eyelids always cast a shadow over them. Since he is also vertically challenged it is difficult to get light under there!

I knew it would be a dog. Second guess would be a self-portrait or some kind of doll or toy. I agree that a continuous highlight along the back would be advantageous to add continuity to the image.

Yeah, I'm going to try it again eventually, hopefully with a more successful rim light. And also with a cleaner dog.

Most reactions

Back