rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

I will be shooting my first 15th party and would like to get everyone's feedback if i can pull it off with what i have, and help out with a bit of quetions:

I have:
Canon t1i, 18-55 kit lens, 55-250mm, 28-105mm, 50mm 1.8, 580 flash, and 430exii flash .... umm and tripods for flash if needed. Think i will borrow a pocket wizard.

1) Do i need anything else?

2) What lens should i be shooting with the most?
- Church
- Group Shot outdoors
- Inside Hall for reception

3) Should i be using both flash's for groups pictures?

Total newb questions, but just looking for some advise for my first gig and reassurance ...

Thanks

Ok, so my input will probably be different from many others for few reasons - #1 I don't like prime lenses, after having worked with them for many years, I prefer zooms. #2 lighting.

So to answer YOUR Qs
1) If you can get addition flash - set 2 430 around the room and 580 on top of you camera - it would be great. IF NOT, then at least one backlight (your 430) will do the trick.
2) - When I'm shooting any small family events, my primary lens, though on Nikon end 28-105. If need wider angle, I either take out 10-24 Sigma or 18-105.
3) I use flash 99% of the time so my answer would YES.

Now, every piece of equipment, no matter how crappy, has an "optimal" point or rather range where it can work best. It did take me time to see what I can do with which lens, flash, body, etc and under which conditions, combination I can get good results. I'd recommend you PLAY AROUND with your gear and do the same. If you want more specific examples, PM me.

IgsEMT ... thanks a lot for the feedback ... yah i was thinking bout getting another 430 to use for balanced lighting and for the group shots ... For the reception i was thinking of using my 28-105

thanks again for your feedback

no problem.
Few more things that I think you should have especially if it is a payed assignment
Extra batteries for flash units and camera. I, besides batteries, also carry battery charger with me when out on assignments or even family dinners.
Backup body. Especially if it is a payed assignment, back up body ;) Few months ago, I got Nikon D90. Though for work, I still use d300 my d90 became a better backup. About a month later the aperture mechanism broke. Camera was in repairs for 10days. Point is that regardless whether equipment is brand NEW or OLD it can brake on you and right next to those "top of SH*T" moments (card error, battery died) camera braking is amongst the leaders. So back up body in my opinion is a must for anything that you're charging for.

I say the lens you'll use the most is the 28-105. The 55-200 is probably too tight, same with the 50 mm prime. If you have only one camera body, I wouldn't put the 50 mm on it. I actually shot a wedding recently for a friend with just 18-55 kit lens and an sb-600, I had the 55-200 but that's too tight. If you wan to see the pictures, here they are. Hope that help. And I don't think you'll have too much time to be changing lens either. Oh, I shot 100% flash that day I think.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/192869-winter-wedding.html

IgsEMT ... thanks again ... yah I have two batteries for my body, and will take quite a bit of double A's ... although, I do NOT have an extra body ... so now im pretty nervouse lol.

Thanks for the info Schumionbike ... i would really like to use the 28-105 most of time with flash, but this lense is NON IS ... so wondering if im guna mess up any pics .... hmmmm

If you use the flash, it will help freeze the action for you so IS wouldn't be neccesary. Beside, with flash photography, it'll allow to up your shutter speed so stablization wouldn't be an issue. The 28-105 is a constant F4 lens?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back