My First attempt at HDR

iluvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my first attempt at HDR using Photomatix and then some touch up in PS.
Please let me know how can I improve this image?
2654207111_112fc7780e_b.jpg

Definitely one of the better HDR attempts I've seen, but am I the only one who sees flare(?) in the clouds? It's not *flare*, I don't think, but you can see the little rings of the glass pieces in your lens.

yes, i can also see those circles. at first i thought flare, but have never seen flare like that. perhaps someone else will be able to id the circles.

Those circles are my sluppy job in PS. They are the brush from Dodge and Burn tool!!!
I didn't know how to do it so it's smooth?? Does anyone know how can I avoid it? I guess use smaller brush and spend more time!

Those circles are my sluppy job in PS. They are the brush from Dodge and Burn tool!!!
I didn't know how to do it so it's smooth?? Does anyone know how can I avoid it? I guess use smaller brush and spend more time!

You could use your lasso took and select the area you want to dodge and burn then feather it by about 5 or 6 and use a large soft brush.

Yep, softening your brush should take care of it.

I like the photo by the way.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. Basically it is the ability to take a series of different exposures of the same scene and combining them in post processing (photomatix or photoshop) so most or all of the image is properly exposed.

I am going to try this so don't laugh at me lol

Ok figured out the saving, and I suck at this lol... this really is a beautiful mansion though. It is in my apartment complex which would be why they call them the Mansion Apartments. C&C please!

iluvphotography, I think your image is gorgeous, very surreal looking and the building is just beautiful.

2656943591_73d1f00f3b_o.jpg

I tried another one with a lamp

2657829344_9fd45d66e6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, sorry I didn't see your post about how to save them.

I don't really see the HDR results in either picture to be honest. Maybe start a new thread and see what other people have to say, but I think you need to mess around with the tone mapping a little bit more. Something funny happened to the bottom of your lamp too, if you didn't notice. Did you use photoshop or photomatix?

Haha, sorry I didn't see your post about how to save them.

I don't really see the HDR results in either picture to be honest. Maybe start a new thread and see what other people have to say, but I think you need to mess around with the tone mapping a little bit more. Something funny happened to the bottom of your lamp too, if you didn't notice. Did you use photoshop or photomatix?

PS, what exactly is tone mapping? I am screwing this up lol.

Haha it's okay, it takes a while to get the hang of making a good looking HDR image. I use photomatix because it has yielded better results for me, but photoshop works too it just seems to take more time. There are some good tutorials on youtube. The one I learned off of can be found here.

Tone mapping definition is here.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the pointers Kimberly and the tutorial is the best I have seen Chris.

BTW the photo is Norte Dame Church in Paris.
Chris how do you do HDR of a moving object? the examples on the tutorial are from moving/dancing people.. How's that possible? OR I guess you have to do it in RAW but is the end result as good??

Good luck with HDR Kimberly.. I just started too.. But it's fun.

Most reactions

Back