My first attempt at lightning (pic heavy)

wamason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed quite a bit of storm activity in the distance earlier this evening. Conditions turned out to be perfect to try my hand at capturing lightning. These were all shot raw, with some post processing in PS. I used the timer on my D750, with a 15 or 13 second shutter speed. ISO 100, Aperature of f/4. Nikon 24-120 lens was mounted.

I don't have high expectations for these shots, but I did accomplish my goal of capturing lightning. Now to improve!

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. :)

EDIT: My apologies... I thought I was back in the Nature & Wildlife subforum.

_DSC7811.jpg

_DSC7865.jpg

_DSC7900.jpg

_DSC7904.jpg

_DSC7927.jpg

_DSC7949.jpg

_DSC7981.jpg

_DSC8033.jpg

Way better than my first (and only) attempt. Not bad, not bad. I especially like the composition of #3.

Really nice set. I'd love to be able to shoot lightning, but if we get one thunderstorm a year out here, it's a big deal! :(

Thank you both. It's very difficult to capture where I live due to the abundance of hills and trees. These were shot from my front yard as a storm cell happened to be passing by. I ran out with the camera, made sure it wasn't raining, did a few test shots, set the timer, then ran back inside to check on the kids. :) Went back out 10 minutes later, checked pics, changed a setting or two, then started the timer again.

Most reactions

Back