My first attempt Fireworks

Cheesy_DSLR_Man

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos are my first attempt at fireworks, I'm not sure how good they are but i will leave that up to you guys to decide.

IMG_1886JPG.jpg

IMG_2038JPG.jpg

IMG_2073JPG.jpg

IMG_2138JPG.jpg

IMG_2139JPG.jpg

IMG_2181JPG.jpg

IMG_2224JPG.jpg

They are a good start, on quite a few, they have alot of dead space, maybe crop in. 7 is covered, 6 is dead,5 is good,4 is the best, 3 needs to be cropped, if 2 is cropped, it could be the best, 1 has dead space at the top.

Nice. I dont know how you achieved them but I would assume a tripod and remote release on the B setting? The look pretty good although they would probably benefit from a longer shutter speed to get more the streaked effect.

Nice. I dont know how you achieved them but I would assume a tripod and remote release on the B setting? The look pretty good although they would probably benefit from a longer shutter speed to get more the streaked effect.

Well actually i didn't use a tripod or remote release as i had just got my camera the week before and didn't have funds for a tripod, got one now though. Thanks for the advice

Exposure was too short on all of these. Next time you try to capture fireworks, make sure you got your tripod. Set the camera to a middle f13 or f16, focus properly (manually) beforehand on some light source you can find, and then use some 4 to 6 seconds of exposure.

Shutter speed could have been longer. Maybe even catching the firework on the way up and having the ghosting trail would look cool.

Nice, I tried fireworks on NYE and miserably failed, as you can be seen below:

DSC_0360.jpg

I think these pictures could have been cropped a little more and you should have zoomed in just a little closer. Keep up the great work.

If you like tweaking in photoshop:

I also like seeing the foreground of the scene in a fireworks display. All the people on the ground and the bonfire should be visible. If you first take a long shutter of the ground scene, get a nice lit shot of everyone, then combine that photo with all the fireworks photos, you get a really cool shot. But a tripod is necessary.

For example #6... could have been two combined photos. One exposed for the ground and one for the sky.

Kinda like this: (random pic off google images)
http://www.travel-destination-pictures.com/data/media/29/fireworks-frankfurt_45.jpg

Fireworks are easy and fun once you figure out the technique. As LaPhoto said, use a tripod and high shutter speeds. Then its just as easy as point and shoot!

I unfortunately had no foreground items to put in the picture so I opted to zoom in :)
These are all uncropped pics. The only adjustments made in PP was to increase the blacks.

Gallery of 47 shots from last July 4:
Lyncca Harvey Photography : photos : July 4th Fireworks- powered by SmugMug

325457802_qNg72-L-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back