My first attempt using steel wool

JNE_Photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just took my first photos using steel wool. Other than learning the valuable lesson to wear a hat, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make this type of shot better? I'm at the beach for a few more days and may try it again, conditions permitting.

Canon 60D, 24mm, 30sec, f/10, ISO 100 (slight crop in Lightroom)

$Light Painting at Holden Beach-small.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but what are you doing with the steel wool?

Lighting it on fire, then swinging it around. An egg beater and a dog leash have been commonly used.

Nice attempt, I like that it was done at the beach!

@Jean, I put the steel wool inside a wire wisk that's attached to dog leash. I then light the steel wool (9V battery) and spin it in a circle. The sparks that fly off give you the look above. Be careful though, sparks are pretty hot. If you look closely you can see a few landed on my head. Not cool.

Lighting it on fire, then swinging it around. An egg beater and a dog leash have been commonly used.

@Jean, I put the steel wool inside a wire wisk that's attached to dog leash. I then light the steel wool (9V battery) and spin it in a circle. The sparks that fly off give you the look above. Be careful though, sparks are pretty hot. If you look closely you can see a few landed on my head. Not cool.

Thank you both!

It's a neat effect.

Nice one, especially for a first try!

Great post, never would have thought. Thanks Ed

At first im thinking is someone stepping out of a portal?? Very creative

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

That's VERY neat.

what do you do with the 9v battery?i am missing something i think.thanks.

what do you do with the 9v battery?i am missing something i think.thanks.

If you rub the positive and negative terminal against the steel wool, it lights right up. Actually it starts glowing, but that's all you need. It's way easier than trying to use a lighter.

Wow that is so cool. Now that's what I call thinking outside the box.

man that looks cool!

Most reactions

Back