My first baby....shoot!

rabhobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccabrittain.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Did this as favor for a friend...I needed a baby model to practice on!
Started with window light, was not enough, so went to large softbox with flash, then some with just the modeling lights as light source.

600915393_4gUoU-L.jpg

600915557_8MK9w-L.jpg

599805232_NRVn8-L.jpg

Last edited:
Your photos aren't showing up for me. Not sure why! :( Looking forward to seeing the results of shooting babies. :D

#1 - I don't like the flower-growing-from-the-butt-crack look, LOL. And there are a few too many flowers. The big flower at the top of the head is distracting; it is nearly the size of the baby's head! But the coloring on the photo is beautiful and precious.

#2 - The color of the skin looks a bit too red on my screen, but I'm not in a color-controlled setting right now, so maybe it isn't really like that. Nonetheless, there are two larger spots of digitized splotches on his face - his forward cheek and his temple - and some smaller ones - his other cheek and the middle of his forehead. Perhaps the lights were too close/too bright or you did a little too much editing on the photo? Still, it makes me want to go kiss those cute fatty cheeks! ;-)

#3 - Composition is off - his eyes should be more to the right side of the frame (try getting one to fit the rule of thirds, as it'd work for this shot). Cropping can fix this. His skin is pretty yellow on the right side of the frame but then almost stark white on the left side - this needs to be evened out. The multiple catchlights in his forward eye is distracting; see if you can edit them down to one or two (and, when shooting, use even a thin diffuser that will combine them into one large area instead of multiple slits). Something else feels "off" about this photo, but I can't put my finger on it.

Overall, though, pretty good for a first shoot.

I'm sure his parents wished his diapers smelled as nice!! :p

#1 - I don't like the flower-growing-from-the-butt-crack look, LOL. And there are a few too many flowers. The big flower at the top of the head is distracting; it is nearly the size of the baby's head! But the coloring on the photo is beautiful and precious..
The mom liked the flower idea, and I do have others without the flower on the butt!
#2 - The color of the skin looks a bit too red on my screen, but I'm not in a color-controlled setting right now, so maybe it isn't really like that. Nonetheless, there are two larger spots of digitized splotches on his face - his forward cheek and his temple - and some smaller ones - his other cheek and the middle of his forehead. Perhaps the lights were too close/too bright or you did a little too much editing on the photo? Still, it makes me want to go kiss those cute fatty cheeks! ;-) .
That may be due to my trying to brush some of the blotchiness out of her face...it doesn't look "digitized" to me but maybe a little hot. (??)
#3 - Composition is off - his eyes should be more to the right side of the frame (try getting one to fit the rule of thirds, as it'd work for this shot). Cropping can fix this. His skin is pretty yellow on the right side of the frame but then almost stark white on the left side - this needs to be evened out. The multiple catchlights in his forward eye is distracting; see if you can edit them down to one or two (and, when shooting, use even a thin diffuser that will combine them into one large area instead of multiple slits). Something else feels "off" about this photo, but I can't put my finger on it..
Yeah, the different lighting combo is what caused the yellow on one side...I see it but it doesn't bug me too much. The catchlights are the actual real window panes. I thought they looked kind of neat! But
that's just me. I do know what you mean about the comp and something looking "off". Maybe cuz I was about standing on my head to get the shot.:lol:
Overall, though, pretty good for a first shoot.
Thanks, mom loves them. I like them too, but know they need some work.
thanks for the comments!

When I saw the title of your post:
My first baby....shoot!
It reminded me of a book on punctuation
and it had a Panda bear on the cover.
The title was: Eats, shoots and leaves.

I like your #2 shot the best, nice work.
Have to admit I don't care too much for #1

When I saw the title of your post:
My first baby....shoot!
It reminded me of a book on punctuation
and it had a Panda bear on the cover.
The title was: Eats, shoots and leaves.

I like your #2 shot the best, nice work.
Have to admit I don't care too much for #1

Eats, shoots, and leaves! :lol: Yeah, don't get me started!

Funny about #1, non-photographers love it (i.e. parents, the family and friends), and photographers (here) hate it.

I really like #1. The flower on the butt doesn't bother me. lol. The image overall is whimsicle and soft. Love that.

#2 is sweet, but the lighting is a bit harsh. Almost looks like the baby is squinting because of it.

#3 Beautiful eyes, but wish that BOTH of them were in focus. Also, lighting on the right side of the baby's face is a tad harsh.

The mom liked the flower idea, and I do have others without the flower on the butt!

To each her own, then. I do still love the coloring on the photo, just not so many flowers - and, of course, the infamous butt-flower. ;)

That may be due to my trying to brush some of the blotchiness out of her face...it doesn't look "digitized" to me but maybe a little hot. (??)

I say digitized because it makes it look like it is obviously from a digital source rather than a film print. The color and the obvious separation those spots make from the rest of the skin (what you called "hot", so we are talking of the same thing).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back