My first Black and White pics

danshill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my first DSLR a few weeks back and have been out taking photographs of anything and everything. I have posted some of my black and white pics to see what you think. If you are interested in seeing some of my other pics please check me out at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danshill/

Although I have a bit of a mixed bag my heart is really with black and white documentary so I think I will probably clear all my flickr at some point and start a scratch as I would like to stick to a theme.

3681593097_dd6e143b92.jpg

3682334198_3a6f099206.jpg

3681503561_6e46e1630e.jpg

3638324273_99210a37b9.jpg

im just using the software I got with my sony dslr. You can probably see that the bottom pic isnt entirely black and white as I kept the blue paint in colour at the end of the shot.

I'm not familiar with Sony's software. Does it allow you to adjust the luminance of the red, green, and blue channels of the B&W image?

It does yes although I am planning on getting photoshop next month as their software is quite limited.

That's a good plan. Make sure you do play around with the channel mixer, and when you get Photoshop, editing using ROYGABPM will give you even more control. Many people make that critical error though when first doing B&W images. Keeping the colour information allows you to manipulate it to your will (though I still think a well-taken B&W shouldn't need this manipulation).

I like the cat one :) , but perhaps these photo's could do with abit of punch. Contrast boost , could also do with a touch of sharpen to really bring it out :)

Looking back at them I agree. Its something i'll look to do with future photographs. Cheers for the advice.

I've just been out and taken some more pics including the one below. I feel from reading this forum over the last few days that I understand the processing side a lot more. I am looking to get photoshop today so that should help with my conversion.

3701985051_c2f52290f6.jpg

The latest image shows a nice improvement over your last set. Nice subject and perspective.

Most reactions

Back