My First C&C Thread - Pics From Montreal

JSClark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I'm hoping I get this right, after reading the "How to structure your posts to get critiques on your work (C&C)" thread.

Anyways, let me start off with the gear I currently have:

Nikon D60 Body
18-55mm VR Lens (the one that came with the body

And here are 5 samples of my work, taken in Montreal a few weeks ago:

OldMontreal15-resize.jpg

ISO200
28mm
F/7.1
1/800sec.

City3-resize.jpg

ISO200
28mm
F/7.1
1/800sec.

HotelBar1-resize.jpg

ISO200
26mm
F/4.2
1/3sec.

Metro2-resize.jpg

ISO800
36mm
F/5.3
1/10sec.

StJosephs1-Rework-resize.jpg

ISO200
28mm
F/7.1
1/640sec.

I've been at this for a while, as I picked the camera up in March of '08. Everything has been processed through Lightroom (with some help on panoramics from Photoshop).

I'm pretty much just looking for pointers, in terms of composition, as well as the settings / techniques I used. I have been shooting in full manual, doing adjustments to aperture and shutter speed (as well as ISO), to expose my shot. In terms of composition, I wanted to try and work on a "Simplify and Exclude" technique (thanks to Ken Rockwell), but throughout the trip, I was nothing but rushed!

So, any advise is welcome.

I like the fourth, would love it more in BW.

I like the fourth, would love it more in BW.

That can be done, and I might have a way to make it stand out more - will put that on my list of "to do's" for tomorrow night :D

Thanks!

#5 seems tilted - try laying the thirds grid (if your camera can show one) on the Live View image and lining up your horizon with the lower vertical line, then recompose. If you're using the viewfinder, then try lining it up with the AF sensor squares.
My favourite was #2 - it does convey a feeling of emptiness. it's tilted though. The other photos are a bit meh. Think about what you want to say with the photos.

#3 is my favorite, I like the emotionless of the people and lines that contradict the space of the people.

#3 is my favorite, I like the emotionless of the people and lines that contradict the space of the people.

I'm assuming you mean the 4th picture?

OK, for the request of the B&W photo...

MetroBW1-resize.jpg

#5 seems tilted - try laying the thirds grid (if your camera can show one) on the Live View image and lining up your horizon with the lower vertical line, then recompose. If you're using the viewfinder, then try lining it up with the AF sensor squares.
My favourite was #2 - it does convey a feeling of emptiness. it's tilted though. The other photos are a bit meh. Think about what you want to say with the photos.

For #5: I look at the area around the fencing, and that seems to be perpendicular to the bottom of the picture. I know there were a lot of steep hills, plus the treeline in the background of the bigger Monastery, maybe that is giving the idea that the picture is tilted?

For #2: I think I see where it is tilted - perhaps a bit to the left?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I like them, the new B+W is probably my favorite. The only thing that i didnt like was how #2 is all tilted, but this has been said already.

5 looks like too high saturation...

#1 is nice, but to me, lacks a subject

2 lacks a subject as well... needs something else for me to look at... i just look up the street... and that's that...

4 is a good start... the lines and curves are nice... feels like it's missing something to me though and i'm not sure what... it doesn't have that impact that i get sometimes from subway tube photos...

3 looks like it should be in a guide for the restaurant/bar/

Hope you enjoyed the city!

I so did :D

I want to come back and do more. I only got to see a few choice spots (St. Joseph's Oratory and the shopping malls under McGill).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back