My first CC request. My son on Chinook Pass WA

Blrdvision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
October snow on Chinook Pass near Mt. Rainier. I just got this Canon 350D so I can get back into photography again....but now I remember just how much I didn't know!
---------------
The scene:

- The sun had set behind Mt. Rainier so the lighting was a challenge.
- I used a tripod and flash.
- I don't recall the exact settings but I do remember putting it on aperture priority and opening it up so I could get the surrounding grass and rocks in focus.
- One of the difficulties I'm having may be related to the kit lens that came with the camera....but I've seen other people's photos with this lens that don't seem to have this problem: If you look carefully around his lower legs and shoes the quality reminds me of some of the shots I used to get with those cheap cardboard throw away cameras. It has a funny, fake look to it. His face looks OK but the legs have that strange look. Is this indeed a lens issue or something else?

What other issues should I be paying attention to?

Thanks!!

cjatchinookf.jpg

I cropped this one kind of weird because he was hunched over as he looked at the camera. A hyper 3 year old late in a cold evening is tough to photograph! Would this be considered over exposed? What would you have done generally with your settings to make this better?
cjatchinookg.jpg

I would be very grateful for any advice and info.

- Chris

To tell you the truth, the composition isn't bad. The natural light looks good. Without a good off camera flash unit I highly suggest just forgeting the flash all together and just using the natural light only. Run to Hobby Lobby and pick up a piece of white poster board and just use it as a reflecter. I really think you would be happier with the results. The onboard flash tends to flatten out the subject.

To tell you the truth, the composition isn't bad. The natural light looks good. Without a good off camera flash unit I highly suggest just forgeting the flash all together and just using the natural light only. Run to Hobby Lobby and pick up a piece of white poster board and just use it as a reflecter. I really think you would be happier with the results. The onboard flash tends to flatten out the subject.

Thank you!
Do you mean place a flash facing backward so it reflects off the cardboard? Or use the cardboard as a reflector for natural light? The sun was behind Mt. Rainier - which was behind me - so there was little light to play with.

What do you make of the strange effect around his feet? Is that a lens issue?

BTW: 30 minutes later, this is what I saw when I turned around the other way:

rainierb.jpg

Most reactions

Back