My first event, C&C please.

phiya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some friends of mine had a masquerade party last night and asked me to set up a little booth and do some photos for them. It was the first time I got to take my new lighting set up out (silver reflector umbrella, shoot through umbrella, stands etc). I had a great time and was happy with some of the shots. I learned really fast how hard it is to focus in the dark. I managed to get a few nice ones anyway. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. This one is my Buddy's son with grandpa. The background was a wrinkled tarp, so I use PS to make it a bit more appealing.

2. This next one was during a cake eating contest. The expression I thought was priceless... I could have done without the people in the background, oh well. I thought the edit added to the drama in his face.

3. I liked this one as well, just wish I hadn't cut off her elbow!

4. This one's basic, but I liked it.

5. Just a basic portrait, you get the idea of the type of event it was.

6. This one was no masks, but I thought my best shot of the night. How do you like the edit? Did I do a decent enough job making it look like the strap isn't her bra?

Sorry if it is too many shots for C&C. Hope you all enjoy.

Sorry I'm about to step out the door but one thing I'd have to say is the first 2 are a bit low in brightness...they were metered too low either when you took the shots or when editing them. It would be hard to just up the brightness to get it to work now...I mean the subjects almost blend into the background because both are around the same brightness. Try Fill Light or try doing it manually maybe?

The first 2 didn't do much for me. The last few look very nice though! The lighting looks pretty good.

The first one id say the lighting is off, there isn't enough light on grandpa, its like he was left in the dark, another light from the front would done the job.

I agree with DerekSalem about the second one, the lighting doesn't bring out the subject at all, and the edit doesn't seem to help at all, makes it look darker if anything.

The rest look Good though.

I really love the last one!
It kinda catches the "feeling"
Nice work :)

Last one is beautiful! Great lighting, composition, bokeh, focus.. everything! I'd put that in my portfolio if i were you.

#1 Doesnt look sharp
#2 Look at the top edge of his arm. Very weird color
#3-6 need some kind of rim light or something. I am not lighting expert.

Why did you shoot F2.8 for the first shot not enough DOF for son and Granpa

That shot was just supposed to be a test shot, but I liked the expressions. They were so close to the background due to space limitations and it was so unappealing I was trying to blur it, but to no luck. I'll keep in mind 2.8 is a little too wide open for most portraiture. After that shot I talked them into letting me move my set up.

I really love the last one!
It kinda catches the "feeling"
Nice work :)

Last one is beautiful! Great lighting, composition, bokeh, focus.. everything! I'd put that in my portfolio if i were you.

Thanks for the compliments, I really thought that was a great shot as well. :D

#1 Doesnt look sharp
#2 Look at the top edge of his arm. Very weird color

I think it had to do w/ the edit, I actually re-edited number two a bit less drastic. Now that I look at the re-edit the picture may be suffering from a bit of CA? I'm not real sure. I'll have to get on my other computer and look at the original again. I actually wanted a bit of rim light, but I only have two flashes and I thought they were better used how I had them. I forgot my reflector which may have been good to add just a bit of rim light... oh well.

I was thinking the same thing, but also not even close to being a lighting expert, but based on recent reading on the net, I think your right on this.

Most reactions

Back