My first ever HDR image

Bellaluna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first image ever in HDR. It's of our (electric) fireplace. I know it's not the greatest image ever, especially since I forgot about how reflective my candle holder was on top of the fireplace and you can see the camera in the shot. :lol: But, I was pretty excited over it, especially since I just upgraded from a D3000 which didn't have auto-bracketing and therefore couldn't do HDR without hassle.

Also, forgive the Photomatix watermarks, I downloaded the trial to try it out. Now that I know I like it I'll probably end up buying it soon.

6859648541_1a647b402f_z.jpg

If you HDR'd this.. why are the lampshades and the top of the mantel totally blown out? You could have saved those too. How many images did you shot to make this? how did you bracket?

Please don't be one of those people that feels like they have to HDR everything they see... it has it's uses, but is not a art form, nor is it a way to get around having to know how to shoot properly.

Three shots, -2, 0, +2. Yeah, the lamps are very bright, even in the underexposed image. I have the hardest time shooting the fireplace with those lamps on, so I usually turn them off. But I decided to have them on for the HDR. It was mainly me being being bored (and procrastinating on a paper I'm writing :lol:) and wanting to try HDR on the new camera.

Here's my suggestion: Instead of trying HDR on subjects in your house, go out and look for "real" scenes that include the sun and shade. It's more rewarding, you learn more and it's better for us to see your processing. I also took lots of shots in the house at first. Then I ventured out into the garden. Now I consider HDR for most landscapes I do ;)

If I hold my hands over the lamps, the processing seems nice to me. Not sure if the colour rendition is ideal, but I don't know your house :)

Bellaluna said:
Three shots, -2, 0, +2. Yeah, the lamps are very bright, even in the underexposed image. I have the hardest time shooting the fireplace with those lamps on, so I usually turn them off. But I decided to have them on for the HDR. It was mainly me being being bored (and procrastinating on a paper I'm writing :lol:) and wanting to try HDR on the new camera.

Maybe use the spot meter and lock exposure for the lamp? I've never tried it with a lamp but maybe it will work. Or maybe use an adjustment brush if your editing program has it ?

It's not HDR yet. And try another composition. This one is not cutting it. Also don't HDR too much. It's OVERDONE and not used correctly.

It's not 'overdone'. It's just not enough proper exposures to do it right to begin with.

It's not HDR yet. And try another composition. This one is not cutting it. Also don't HDR too much. It's OVERDONE and not used correctly.

I love when fat headed pros carpet bomb a rookie's thread and don't offer anything useful to him other than "try not to suck next time."

If you want to criticize, offer specific advice to help the OP make the next image better! "Don't HDR too much"? The OP clearly stated, in the title no less, that this is his first HDR.

Mr. Catalano, the next time you post, try to think back to when you were a rookie, and try to come up with something helpful. Otherwise, you're just typing to feel superior to another photographer. I don't have any patience for that sort of nonsense.

My suggestion to OP would be to never do anything that you consider "a hassle" unless elements are automated for you.

Choices in exposures are something you should be controlling with some amount of care... not simply letting the camera bracket for you and be done.

My suggestion to James would be to not tell others how to express their opinions, except that would be me telling him how to express his, which would have some internal logic issues.

Edit: That said... who are you to question how a "pro" gives advice? This always fascinates me. If someone really is that good, perhaps rather than judging their approach you should just sorta keep your mouth shut and listen? Call me crazy.

Last edited:
Couldnt have said it better myself. Refering to jamesbjenkins comment.

Im another one in agreement with JamesBJenkins. I dont know why bozos hang around the HDR forum advising people not to use HDR. As Sparky said your shot is not that bad, just that it could have used an exposure for the lampshades. I dont know if you cropped the original image but it looks like you used a wide angle lens and shot down at the fireplace causing a keystone effect. Next time just shoot it from straight on. Stoop a bit if you have to or better yet, lower your tripod. One last thing. The interior of your house is the perfect place for HDR. Window light, fluorescent, incandescent, shadows, all makes for needing more than one exposure.

I wouldn't be real concerned with composition and camera angle just yet..... just concentrate on the exposure sets needed to bring the dynamic range of the scene into what the camera & post processing can handle. HDR is a technique in and of itself, not a requirement. It stands alone as a tool that can be used. Learning how to use that tool, and when, is the aim here.... not creating an image for a mag cover.

Like I said, this was my first HDR ever. I got bored at around 7pm and decided to play around. I have every intention of shooting other subjects, this just seemed the best at the time. I've tried to get a decent picture of this fireplace for some time (including metering for the lamps), but the only way I could accomplish it was with the lamps off and with a long exposure. I decided to give it a try with the lamps on this time, and yes they are blown out. But it's by far the best picture I've gotten of the fireplace with the lamps on.

And yes, the color is pretty true to life, that room is very warm in color terms.

Three methods to expose for the lamps:

1. Trial & error. Not a recommended option, but certainly possible to do.

2. Take a shot, then zoom in and check the histograms in the camera monitor.

3. Use in-camera spot metering.

I dont know why bozos hang around the HDR forum advising people not to use HDR.

Bynx... I hope that wasn't aimed at me! (If it was aimed at Catalano... that's OK!) :) I just get so tired of all the way over-processed crap we are seeing so much of.. mostly on subjects that don't even have high dynamic ranges! I like HDR when used properly... but I don't like HDR cartoons! (although a lot of that is more over done tone mapping, since they don't even seem to know what HDR is!)

I was trying to help the OP see that she needed more exposures to HDR that properly... I think I made my point on that.

Most reactions

Back